Author Topic: What got you started in this hobby?  (Read 8649 times)

Offline crusty59

• View Profile
    • Wood Crafts by Chris
Re: What got you started in this hobby?
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2010, 05:44:08 pm »
Hi Janet. Things like the shot glass, I just make as I go. I plan on wooden beer mugs next, or Tankards as they are called. Mostly I buy plans. I've never been any good at drawing or design. I can copy things from a picture though

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2010, 06:33:15 pm »
i saw a collapsible basket in a furniture store, studied it, figured out how it was made, and i'm still trying to successfully make two in a row that will open all the way, oh by the way i've only been doing this for a couple weeks  :-)
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

Marshall

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2010, 07:33:16 pm »
When I first got started scrolling I had already been woodworking for 10 years or more and I decided to cut some letters out so I brought a craftsman scroll saw. I cut and mounted some letters on a board for a home address and back then there>  was no PC or patterns to get off friends . But soon after when the enternet came along things changed so much and fast ......any how this is sort of what got me started ....Marshall... :)

shawn

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2010, 09:55:31 pm »
I started scrollsawing a couple of years ago when my wife said that I needed a hobby to keep me out of her hair. I try painting pictures didn't like it. I then bought a spin saw and started cutting shapes out of wood. An older man that live next door to me give me a scrollsaw and some patterns after that I fell in love with scrollsawing. Now my wife never sees me, I am always in the workshop.

Shawn

Offline campasano

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2010, 11:12:08 pm »
I fell in love with woodworking when I was in my first 6 months of High School. I took a 6 week course in carpentry and was instantly hooked, that was 62 tears ago. 20 years ago I was at a Home show and a rep from Advanced machinery was demonstrating the wonderful art of scrollsawing on a Hegner, I bought it even though it was pricey at over $1200.00 I never regretted it and the rest is history.

Mike
Do your part - go green - save the earth

juvy

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2010, 02:42:35 am »
When I was 6 my dad bought those long handled coping saws for my brother and myself. He worked for a company that sold wood to furniture makeres, so we always had a free supply. He also gave us patterns for key racks and just pictures to cut out..   I felt for him tho... he had to keep changing the blades I kept breaking at alarming speed.... my fingers couldn't get the screws tight enough.
I dont' remember what made us stop sawing... but I didn't get another saw until I was a cub scout leader... and that one only lived through two projects... after that it was another 20 years before I had another saw.... My second husband gave it to me together with a drill press for our first x-mas... lol Called the saw a bush pig... it was so hmmm.... "hardy' ? Pin blades... but then I didn't know about pinless.. that saw didn't get used much.. then he lost his job and we joint the woodclub .... I was introduced to the Delta and all the wonderful things one can make with a scroll saw... haven't stopped since...

Juvy

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2010, 09:49:14 am »
Shawn,
what is a spin saw?
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Joesawdust

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2010, 02:54:20 pm »
My fascination with the scroll saw started in either 94 or 95, there was a man who had a kiosk in the mall making key chains and such, he also did custom orders, I was intrigued by what he was able to do. The wife had him make me the business card holder pictured below. We bought a few other things from him too. Then he moved on and it dropped out of my mind. I had been doing some furniture making and yard decorations prior to that. Then in probably 98 I saw a copy of Creative woodworks and Crafts magazine and been hooked since. I just recently have been learning to make patterns with the help of Arpop, and his pattern academy.
Greg

[attachment deleted by admin]

shissta

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2010, 03:11:57 pm »
I was sitting at home one day bored out of my mind and decided to check out youtube.  I saw a video Steve did and was intrigued.  I watched several of the videos he had posted,  then made a trip to Home Depot and bought a scrollsaw.  Have been hooked ever since.

cornishpisky

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2010, 04:19:45 pm »
I've always been intrigued by decorative woodwork, mainly Victorian Gingerbread, i was looking through an old Handycraft book from the 1930s that was in among a bunch of stuff i picked up at an Auction and came across a section on Fretwork, i thought i would like to give it a go, i bought a hand fretsaw (didn't know you could get electric ones back then), then when my son was about 2 i started making toys for him (they are being passed on to my grandson now), just progressed from there.

Ian

Offline Barry

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2010, 08:49:17 pm »
Hi Janet -
I was thinking about what I could do when I retired from the Postal Service, as a hobby.  I have always loved watching woodworking shows and very impressed with things made of wood.  As a complete novice I wanted to do something relatively safe.  When I googled scrollsaw I was sent to the Scrollsaw Woodworking and Crafts website and to Steve's.  I watched practically all of Steve's videos and eventually bought a Dewalt.  I took a course at my local Woodcraft Store and have been hooked ever since.  I make a lot of toys and things for my twin grandsons (age 2).  I don't sell anything just make stuff to give away.  Although I have yet to retire it is cool to say I now have a hobby.

Barry

ripchief

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2010, 08:57:51 pm »
I picked up my saw about ten years ago to help my son with Pinewood Derby for Scouts...We made three cars and then the saw spent some time back in the box...I dug it out a couple of times to do a couple of things, and then it went back into the box...Finally, I took it out, found Steve's site, and have been going strong ever since...Now, I'm experienced enough to recognize that I need a better saw.

Skeeter

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2010, 09:42:58 am »
I was peacefully sleeping on the couch one evening at about 8:30 when my wife said"get up and find yourself a hobby"  eight years later the house is full of fretwork and now at 10:00 P.M. at night my wife says"When are you coming to bed?"

cherie

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2010, 10:45:40 am »
I was peacefully sleeping on the couch one evening at about 8:30 when my wife said"get up and find yourself a hobby"  eight years later the house is full of fretwork and now at 10:00 P.M. at night my wife says"When are you coming to bed?"

LOL.  Skeeter, that is just hilarious. 

chips

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2010, 06:55:36 pm »
 Man! That was a long time ago. About the mid 50's I was really interested in Muzzle Loading and wanted to make myself a powder horn with some small figures I could attach to it. The horn was easy but can't recall now if you could get/buy those figures. More than my pocketbook could stand anyway. So decided I'd cut them out with a coping saw & crutch my Dad had. He had a small sheet of German Silver and I made up several patterns and cut them out and nailed(?) them to the horn. Since then there were many small projects I hand cut until 10 yrs. or so back I got a Dremel saw which allowed me to do a lot more intricate stuff, faster. A coupla years ago I upgraded to a Delta P20. Latest project has been a Mtn. Dulcimer.

Pete

SMF

Teknoromi