Author Topic: Have you ever?  (Read 4867 times)

cherie

Re: Have you ever?
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2010, 04:08:32 pm »
Janet, he pulled every nail out of that set up, and then tried to put them back.  LOL.  Him and his sis go back home in June.  We have had them for the past two years while their mother and father served tours in Afghanistan.  They both have been a great help when it comes to home improvement stuff.  They are gonna miss it when they go home.

juvy

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2010, 06:12:24 pm »
Had a wonderful suprise this morning... photos from my grandson..
Not scrolling, but last x-mas and again for his b-day we send him woodworking books.... he is 9.

Looks like he's taken to it like a duck to water ( helps that my son's a great handyman) My dil says he's now working on his second chair.... needless to say we're proud as punch!  Yeahhhhhhh.... just wish they'd live here in Australia...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2010, 06:20:45 pm »
my grandson (ll) and grandaughter (7) are coming from St. louis next weekend, plan to have a simple design for each to make if it's anything like our fishing expeditions i don't hold much for expectations but u never know
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

cherie

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2010, 06:31:28 pm »
Now that looks nice and comfy.  I should have him come build me one. 

juvy

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2010, 02:23:54 am »
yyyyguy..... to get the kids interest you have to make sure you offer them something that has to do with what they enjoy... if they're into music.. a portrait from a fav singer.... or a CD holder.. if they're into sports.. a picture frame with sports designs around, or maybe some holder for all their equipment, if they're into Science Fiction... they could do all the planets and make a mobile..
At 11 your grandson will have very firm ideas about what he likes, so ask him first.. then give ideas to match..

At 7 your granddaughter is still wide open to suggestions... have her draw something and make a cut out of it... you could glue a picture she drew on a piece of wood and have her try to cut the outline..
She could also draw simple gingerbread man like doll outlines... you could then show her how to drill holes and she can use them them as sewing cards... works with all sorts of simple outlines!
Juvy

jowshu98

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2010, 12:31:38 am »
Just came across this and loved reading all the great ideas. My two young ones, one is 8 and the other 10, have been asking for an allowance. They have both been in the shop and have both cut a few things here and there, my daughter more than my son. Well since I have some shows coming up that I'm trying to get ready for I made them a deal. Instead of an allowance I would give them the profit from anything they made and I sold at the shows; they would just need to cover materials once we sold something. They're currently enjoying choosing projects and looking to start cutting this week. I may take them along to one or two of the shows if possible to expose them to that side of it as well. All in all a great learning experience, scrolling and some of the business side of things and why things cost what they do.

Don

Rightarm

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2010, 12:52:24 pm »
 I tried with my 12 y/o grandson, but he likes x-box better. I may still have a chance with the 6 y/o. Dave 8)

Offline budprine

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2010, 02:18:03 pm »
I tried my 8 year old grand daughter.  She seemed interested but has not asked for a second showing or to try it herself.  DARN
best regards,

Bud Prine

Offline deerwatcher76

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2010, 07:38:53 pm »
My oldest grandson (13) has cut a few over the years and have a younger granddaughter (6) That wants to learn how to cut like papaw. She was in my show a couple of yrs ago sitting at the saw moving a piece of wood around like she was cutting so in a few years I'll let her try something simple
JD

SMF

Teknoromi