Author Topic: Bow sander  (Read 7724 times)

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
Bow sander
« on: May 31, 2014, 01:19:02 pm »
Good morning. Do any of my Canadian colleagues happen to know where I can purchase a bow sander? I realize I can buy one on-line but I'd rather get one from a Canadian source. I've tried all the hardware / lumber stores in Kelowna, Penticton and Vernon and I had to explain to Customer Service what they were. Cheers, Barry.

ChuckD

Re: Bow sander
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 01:36:13 pm »
Why not make your own?  That is not that hard and a lot less expensive.  Been using mine for about 7 years and they are very handy. Good luck  :):)

pddesertrat

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 01:49:26 pm »
This looks like a Canadian product.  It also looks very simple to make.

http://www.intarsiadesigns.com/bowsander/bowsander.html

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 02:14:35 pm »
From what I've seen it appears a hacksaw could work well with a third point of contact on the top frame, or would it need more flexibility - thoughts?

pddesertrat

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 03:14:21 pm »
Nope!  Has to be made of wood!  I'm a wood worker ;D  Seriously, hacksaw would work and be length adjustable.  The only downside I see is you would have to be careful not to hit the piece you are sanding with the metal.

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 06:13:48 pm »
What are your thoughts about 1/2 - 3/4 in. ply?

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 06:48:33 pm »
I made my own years ago and it is still going strong. Made it from some scrap oak I had laying around.
What are we here for but to help others. (Author unknown)
Clyde

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 11:12:07 pm »
They don't look hard to make, but if you want to buy from a Canadian, take a look here:
http://www.intarsiadesigns.com/bowsander/bowsander.html
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2014, 11:29:20 pm »
Thanks guys. Ray - I saw that, and it looks pretty simple. I'll go to Rona tomorrow and see if they sell oak boards.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2014, 12:07:40 am »
I like the idea of cutting your bow sanding belt from a standard sanding belt, if you can find a good way to tension it. That way the belt can be rotated around until it is all used up. You can buy 4x24 or 4x36 belts for $2 each and maybe cut 1/2" to 1" bow sanding belts from them.

I have some 1" emery cloth I bought on Amazon. It's meant for metal rather than wood, but it seems to work OK. When I have something small, I rip off a few inches and can get into some tight spaces.
http://www.amazon.com/Forney-71804-120-Grit-1-Inch---10-Yard/dp/B000KL5X60/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401595488&sr=8-1&keywords=emery+cloth+for+wood+sanding
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2014, 01:53:32 am »
I'm going to fabricate the bow sander and then figure out the length of belt I need. Thank you, Barry.

ChuckD

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2014, 02:44:19 pm »
The bow sander I use uses 10 inch belts cut to different widths.  To add more tension to the belt you press the belt with your thumb.  If I was making another one I use use a 10 belt for the pattern.  The widths I use very from 1/4 inch to 1 1/2 inch.  I would not be without it.  If I am not mistaken the 30 dollars price above includes several different widths.  Martin has been doing this for a long time.

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 09:18:00 am »
Pardon my stupidity (gee I seem to say that alot) but this is the first I have ever heard of one I'll be making/buying one soon :-[
Pete
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2014, 11:13:18 am »
Cstm - me too, that's why I started this thread. Cheers, Barry. By the way, stopped at Home Hardware and Rona. A piece of S1S Oak board 3/4 in. x 6 in. x 4 ft. long costs $45 up here. I've said it in previous posts, unless it's spruce, pine or fir, which are native in this part of the world, you pay through the nose.

ChuckD

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2014, 03:12:01 pm »
If you don't have the wood. or want to take the time, I would spend the $30 dollars.  I have had no problem with mine and you will be amazed with the results of using it.  Don't forget the pegs on the side of the Bow sander.  The one Martins sells has knobs on them to keep the belt from coming off. May have some fun making them/  They can't be to much to buy if you can find them. BTW,  not affiliated with Martin at all, just like to let you all know about good products

:) :).

SMF

Teknoromi