Author Topic: Basement Scrolling  (Read 3883 times)

Offline Reaper

• View Profile
Basement Scrolling
« on: December 29, 2013, 03:24:59 pm »
Hey Guys, Some input please. I tried working in the garage yesterday and was just to cold. I plan on heating my garage next year. In the mean time what do you think about scrolling in the basement. I really hate to go 3 months without doing anything. Is the basement OK? I have to first let you know that the only room I would be able to use has the furnace and hot water heater in there. So would dust mess them up and if not what could I do to prevent it. Any help or ideas would be great. Thanks Dave

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
Re: Basement Scrolling
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 05:08:08 pm »
How about a good air filter? :)
Bob Making sawdust in SW Louisiana with a
EX-21

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 06:38:51 pm »
I would have a way to collect the dust either by shop vac or something, you don't see it but saw dust can fly a good distance, my garage is a good example I can find sawdust all over the place.

old wormy

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 07:40:21 pm »
I do my scrolling in the basement and sawdust is a problem. I have an air cleaner and two dust collectors and still there is a lot of fine dust I don't get. So be prepared to deal with. If your room is big enough you might hang some plastic sheeting to keep as much as you can from the furnace and water heater.

jim stiek

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 08:39:31 pm »
I put a small fan blowing across my table and a box fan and filter on the other gets about 90% of the dust it seems to me just used it for the first time today for any length of time about 2 hours and am happy with it might add another fan vertically as I found a small amount of dust on top of the box fan very minimal but a little

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 10:49:49 pm »
I put a small fan blowing across my table and a box fan and filter on the other gets about 90% of the dust it seems to me just used it for the first time today for any length of time about 2 hours and am happy with it might add another fan vertically as I found a small amount of dust on top of the box fan very minimal but a little

This is what I have used for a couple years now, it still gets dusty but the home made filter/fan set up I use works pretty well, I vacuum the filter every week or so.
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 01:34:51 am »
Hi Reaper. I do scrollwork and use my router everyday in the basement. . My darling and I are both allergic to dust, and I developed a hypersensitivity to wood products (sawdust) my last several years in carpentry. As of yet dust hasn't been an issue, and wife's happy if I vacuum my mess occasionally. Cheers, Barry.

Offline Dan26

• South of Milford, Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 07:27:12 am »
I agree with the fan and filter set up. Also, clean daily because the dust will pile up fast.
Dan (South of Milford, Ohio)

Courage - the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation.

Offline Reaper

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 09:23:25 pm »
Hey Guys, Thanks for the replies,but I think I will wait until I get heat in the garage.I use a fan with a filter and an overhead vacuum in the garage and there is still dust. So I don't think I will take the chance in the basement.I'm worried that the furnace and hot water heater will  get clogged. If I had another room down there I could have sealed off then I might have tried it. Oh well, guess I could wait a few months.....

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 11:25:26 am »
I have been a basement scroller for several years, and I love it! Heat in the winter and A/C in the summer.
I have a box fan filter running when I scroll and clean up regularly. My husband is in charge of changing furnace filters and says that he changes them about once a month, but checks every couple of weeks.

Offline scrollsaw22

• View Profile
    • Phillip's Scrolling
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2013, 10:29:09 pm »
I do my scrolling in the basement as well.  Don't know if you're wanting to do this much of a cabinet to put it in, but here's what mine looks like if it gives you any ideas.  Lighting helps a lot as well and the box fan in the back has a filter attached so pulls the dust away from you.

Offline trailfndr

• View Profile
    • Lee's Wood Artistry
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014, 06:43:20 pm »
I am also a basement scroller.  I have a small room (10x7) that I have benable to seal off from the rest of the basement.  I use a shopvac when sanding, and I clean daily.  I plan to get a dust collection system in the near future.  Dust has not been a problem outside of the shop room.

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2014, 03:18:21 pm »
Gee! Lots of Ideas guys n Gal.  Not a Basement here, but still have the dust problem.  Shop is 14X12.  I use a small Heater Fan blowing across the Scrollsaw into a Box fan with a GOOD filter attached.  Did have the small shop vac hooked up attached to the A/C plug of the saw right directly below the table.  Visual thing there was very little if any fine sawdust floating.  Cut a piece with NO FANS OR VACS. and Wow!  Sawdust floating every wheres.  Anyway. Danny :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2014, 05:02:35 am »
one basement isn't the other Dave,

a few years ago i let a contractor dig out the space under my house and made a complete basement with lot's of space. basement is 26' 2" x 16' 8"and the ceiling is 8 feet high.
my workshop is 16' 8" x 9' 10" so plenty of room for me.
sawdust is a issue so I use the vac cleaner to keep it clean.
but when using the table saw it's getting "messy" and also spraying paint does leave some dust.
I use an old  kitchen ventilation hood/system to suck out the air and keep it clean.
temps in the basement are between 55-60 all year around so I installed a central heating radiator on the main system. occasionally I use an electric heater to get out the chilly feeling.
so for scrolling and some crafts it's perfect, but for real woodworking with the table saw or router a bigger workshop with door to open would be better.....

So for me basement scrolling is the best there is ;)
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

jbrowder

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2014, 12:04:45 pm »
I was fortunate that when we bought our piece of property it came with a 24' x 30' shop already there. Over the years I've managed to slowly convert it from a garage/storage unit to a woodworking shop. What I found is that even with all that space, dust still is a problem, especially when hunched over the scroll saw. I think that wherever you end up, the air filter/fan combination is necessary.

SMF

Teknoromi