Author Topic: My Magnifying Light Part 2  (Read 1257 times)

Offline jerry1939

• Iowa - 2 seasons. Winter & road construction.
    • View Profile
My Magnifying Light Part 2
« on: January 07, 2014, 06:39:46 pm »
1.  In spite of our cold, I mounted my Magnifying Light today, but didn't saw.  Big disappointment.  All-Spec brand for $70.  Because of the long adjustable arms, it sways.  Don't like the focal length.  If I set it far enough away to clear the wood, it's not what I hoped for.

2.  This is not the fault of the product.  Because of a couple of eye surgeries years ago, I have double vision.  Prisms in my eye glasses correct that.  However, with this product (through no fault of theirs), double vision returns when looking through the lens.
I was wearing a head mounted, flip down magnifier and that works OK, but doesn't magnify as much.

Bottom line is that I ended up with a very nice $70 light.

IF you have prisms in your eye glasses, don't buy this type of product.

Offline mickey357

• View Profile
Re: My Magnifying Light Part 2
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 07:13:03 pm »
Thanks for the tip.

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 10:41:44 pm »
Jerry
I understand what you are saying about the eyes.  Yesterday I got a good report from my eye surgeon. Seems the ocular implant from my cataract surgery  ( 15 years ago) had started to move around. The doc actually had to stitch it in place.  This was my 7 eye surgery since 2000.  I too have prisms in my glasses but I do not have the problem you mentioned. M double vision was due to the lens slippage and it is corrected. Hopefully I will get back into the shop later this week. Like everyone we are freezing here  on the Middle Peninsula but forecast is for 60+ degrees in a few days.  Have not done anything  much in the shop since the first of Oct.  Doc cleared me to do anything I want yesterday, even daytime driving. Driving ain't-a-gonna happen for a while yet. I scare myself.   With all that I would say as for the magnifiers, I should be on a individual basis.  If possible -  try before you buy.
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Offline Elgin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 10:01:47 pm »
Jerry 1939, Thanks for tip as looking for a magnifier and have prisms in prescription glasses

SMF

Teknoromi