Author Topic: Okay the Old Man, Novice Scroller Has Another Question/Comment  (Read 5378 times)

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
Re: Okay the Old Man, Novice Scroller Has Another Question/Comment
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2014, 10:54:55 am »
I agree with julief, there is no "RIGHT or WRONG" way to do anything. The very best way is "YOUR WAY".
What ever suits YOU just tickles the stuffing out of ME.
If we all did things in the same way all of the time, life (and scrolling) would be so boring, none of us would want to do it.  ;)

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2014, 11:30:18 pm »
Question Everything!
That was the motto of one of my favorite Jesuit professors at St. Louis University!
That is how we learn...in many areas there are no absolute 'right' or 'wrong' ways of doing things or arriving at final answers.
As Sheila has so often stated (paraphrasing) "Try several methods and then stick with the one that WORKS for YOU!"
And truthfully I don't always use the same method but use the one that I think will work best for me on the particular project at hand.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

ChuckD

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2014, 03:43:18 pm »
Well, I am going to tell how "I" do it again. (It works for me)  I use cheap masking tape, and toothpicks, to hold the boards together.  On top and bottom of the stack (very seldom don't cut stacks) I use poster boards or luam board (Junk for anything else).  When finished, throw the top and bottom layers away.  Good Luck  :) :)

Offline Dakota Saw Dust

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2014, 12:13:46 am »
All the methods work.  But I find a project may determine which method I will use. If I'm using good hardwood & want a nice light stain - I might not want to apply the patten straight on the wood because mineral spirits might stain in areas when removing the pattern.  I also watch how good a tape is if I'm going to be on the project for, say, a week or month.  Some tapes get really married to the wood fibers and pull up some loose grain. Experience for your projects will bring you round to your preferred method. I don't mind the smell or stickiness of spray adhesive it was part of my old job & for me it's quick.  Brian

Offline Albertonencioni

• View Profile
    • Traforando
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2014, 08:25:46 am »
Nobody uses stick glue?

Nice, clean, odourless, when you have cut the piece you put it face-down on a wet sponge towel until the paper template soaks and peels away. The glue is also water-soluble, and leaves no residues.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2014, 06:57:55 am »
Lots of people use glue sticks.  I have not had much luck with them.  It seems - to me - the paper lifts at the most crucial parts.  I'll stick with spray adhesive and remove it with mineral spirits.  I've been doing it that way with much success for years.

ChuckD

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2014, 04:08:03 pm »
I use Glue sticks for intarsia mostly because it will be on for a very short time.  With shaping there is no problem with the residue.

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2014, 01:28:02 pm »
I use painters tape to hold stacks together. If the boards are unruly I use small nails or staples in waste areas to hold together.
I put the pattern on the tape using a regular craft glue stick. (I switched from spray adhesive when I got sick of going out in the cold to spray, or getting high and staying warm)
I almost always put a layer of clear packing tape over the pattern before I drill.

Just what I do.

The important thing is to do what works for you.

SMF

Teknoromi