Author Topic: Well, I Thought of Another Question  (Read 6753 times)

pddesertrat

Well, I Thought of Another Question
« on: July 08, 2014, 08:09:40 pm »
How do you leave your scroll saw.  By that I me, 1. do you release the tension on the blade when you are do for the day or awhile or 2. do you leave it with tension on or 3.  do you take off the tension, loosen the blade and lift the arm, or does it matter??  What is best for the saw?

Offline danpage1

• View Profile
Re: Well, I Thought of Another Question
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 08:43:03 pm »
I always release the tension from the blade but do not disconnect the blade.

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 08:48:38 pm »
I usually release the blade from the top clamp (I'm a bottom feeder). I make most of my cuts as inside cuts, even outside perimeter cuts I drill an entry hole and cut as inside cuts. So when I am done for the day, I just take my piece off the saw.

Offline Reaper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 10:58:05 pm »
I always release the blade tension, add oil after using for more then 10 hours and always vacuum around it.

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 12:14:43 am »
I always release the tension when I quit for lunch or done for the day, but I do not release the blade.
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

Blue Peeps

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 02:54:20 am »
I scroll with a DeWalt 788, and when I am done using it I release the blade tension and remove the blade from the top blade clamp. I leave the arm in the down position (I use "The Lifter" on my saw to hold up its arm).

I usually vacuum all of the sawdust off from it when I am finished, too.

I was very fortunate to get a Type 1 DeWalt that had only been used a few times for a very good price, so I try to take really good care of it, so that it will last me for a long time. I've greased the needle bearings with very high quality grease and keep the table well-waxed, also.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 06:23:33 am »
I release the tension - leave the blade.

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 07:41:04 am »
When I am finished with a saw for a while I leave it just as it is.  Either under tension or not.  I use my saws every day so they do not sit long with tension on them.  Overnight maybe.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 09:07:33 am »
I use an EX 21 and I release the tension when I am done. The manual also recommends doing this. Since I am a top feeder, I also go ahead and remove the blade from the bottom holder.

Tony,aka,Toneman

pddesertrat

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 10:44:28 am »
I always release the blade tension, add oil after using for more then 10 hours and always vacuum around it.

What do you oil?  Maybe I need to dig my manual and read,  naa, men don't read instructions or ask directions! ;D
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 10:48:31 am by pddesertrat »

pddesertrat

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 10:46:37 am »
I scroll with a DeWalt 788, and when I am done using it I release the blade tension and remove the blade from the top blade clamp. I leave the arm in the down position (I use "The Lifter" on my saw to hold up its arm).

I usually vacuum all of the sawdust off from it when I am finished, too.

I was very fortunate to get a Type 1 DeWalt that had only been used a few times for a very good price, so I try to take really good care of it, so that it will last me for a long time. I've greased the needle bearings with very high quality grease and keep the table well-waxed, also.

I keep reading "Type 1",  I don't know which I have and what is the difference between a "type 1" and any other DeWalt scroll saw?

Offline pierre62

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2014, 10:51:43 am »
I release the tension - leave the blade.
Pierre

ChuckD

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2014, 04:21:28 pm »
I release the tension.  I didn't once and when I came back the blade was three inches longer.  Of course I was gone that time for two weeks.  :) :) :)

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2014, 09:29:52 pm »
On my DeWalt I release the tension, release the top blade holder, raise the arm to hook in my 'lifter' and blow all the dust off the saw and surrounding area.
Depending on what else I have been doing in the shop I may fire up the leaf blower, open the garage door and blow all the dust & shavings out the door, shut the door and pray for rain!

Hey! It works for me!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Reaper

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2014, 12:07:49 am »
I have a Hegner and there are four spots on the arm that needs to be oiled from time to time....

SMF

Teknoromi