Author Topic: Bow sander  (Read 7722 times)

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
Re: Bow sander
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2014, 06:15:01 pm »
I'm developing a plan on how I'd fabricate one. From the photo on the website they looked like pan-head screws, which didn't make much sense but a wooden peg does. Purchasing a length of oak would leave me with three feet to use on another project... decisions, decisions. Thank you, Barry.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2014, 09:46:59 am »
Cstm - me too, that's why I started this thread. Cheers, Barry. By the way, stopped at Home Hardware and Rona. A piece of S1S Oak board 3/4 in. x 6 in. x 4 ft. long costs $45 up here. I've said it in previous posts, unless it's spruce, pine or fir, which are native in this part of the world, you pay through the nose.
We get 1x12 oak here from the lumber yards for about $5/bd-ft, and they cut it to the nearest foot. The local sawmills will sell it rough cut for about $1/bd-ft. Menards has a good selection of hardwoods, with oak and maple at about $3.50/bd-ft.

I could mail you some if you're willing to pay the shipping.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2014, 10:32:40 am »
Thanks Ray. Shipping between the U.S. and Canada can be absurd. I'm going to keep my open for old furniture at the Re-store, or on the local buy and sell websites. Something will turn up. Thank you again. Cheers, Barry.

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2014, 05:27:15 pm »
A guy in my scrolling club has an awesome design for these, and has made a ton of them. I have one someplace. (I just moved so it is in one of the boxes marked "shop")
I can't remember how he attaches the sand paper, i think a wing nut is involved. I will see if I can find it. I think he had the idea published someplace like SAW, or maybe one of the magazines.

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2014, 07:22:58 pm »
That would be excellent. No point in re-inventing the wheel. Thank you very much. Cheers, Barry.

SMF

Teknoromi