Author Topic: Wounded Warrior Foundation  (Read 1900 times)

Shogun

Wounded Warrior Foundation
« on: September 29, 2013, 07:50:09 pm »
I just had to post this. I am beside myself, and super angry right now. My MC has been a big supporter of the Wounded Warrior Foundation for several years. Some of you may have seen their commercials on television.....I just found out yesterday that only 38% of what is raised goes to help our Vets. That means  62% goes to cover overhead and salary. That's right SALARY...and the big shots are making $350,00 a year plus bonuses.

I'm a combat vet, so why are these guys cashing in and why are they getting bonuses?

In comparison the MCFSC (Marine Corps Family Support Community) 97% of donations go to helping Vets. That 3% is for paperwork and misc. admin fees. NO ONE RECIEVES A SINGLE NICKLE for their effort.

Because of this my MC is going to reconsider donating any more money to Wounded  Warriors in the future and will quite possibly set up a separate fund where 100% of the money raised will go for warriors.

How dare these people sleep under the blanket of freedom us vets have provided!

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
Re: Wounded Warrior Foundation
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 10:27:43 am »
You've just hit the tip of the iceberg.
Most of those bigger "support" organizations are like that. I found that out years ago about the Red Cross and refuse to donate to them.
And the telemarketers that call about donating to various police organizations are even worse.
I don't mind donating to my local people and church but, it is a shame when you find out just how much the girl scout troop gets out of a $7.00 box of cookies! I have tried to just give a girl scout a $20.00 bill instead of  buying the cookies and her scout leader said that they weren't allowed to accept cash donations!
What can you do when you want to help people who need it but the "middlemen" get in the way?

Rog 
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 06:41:13 pm »
Shogun - if you want to do some scroll work for a funds raiser for vets, please let me know. I'd be happy to send something. Marine Corp Christmas ornaments? Cure for the Navy Blues? Whatever.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 08:20:53 pm »
I recently lost a marine who was a very close friend (it was a PTSD related suicide) If you create or find a worthy organization I would love to know about it. I would love to donate to a good cause, not someone's salary.

When my friend was over-seas for a while I made ornaments to send over. They had our state outline and "we love you" on one side and a picture on the other. A large group of us put our family Christmas photos in the ornaments and sent them over.

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 11:22:34 pm »
By the way, the American Legion has no paid officers, that's where a lot of my contributions go.

Pete
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 07:54:07 am »
You've just hit the tip of the iceberg.
Most of those bigger "support" organizations are like that. I found that out years ago about the Red Cross and refuse to donate to them.
And the telemarketers that call about donating to various police organizations are even worse.
I don't mind donating to my local people and church but, it is a shame when you find out just how much the girl scout troop gets out of a $7.00 box of cookies! I have tried to just give a girl scout a $20.00 bill instead of  buying the cookies and her scout leader said that they weren't allowed to accept cash donations!
What can you do when you want to help people who need it but the "middlemen" get in the way?

Rog 

Generally I agree with you but in the case of the Girl Scouts, yes the local troop only gets about a dollar from sale of that box of cookies but the rest does pay for upkeep on camps, staffing those camps and "camper-ships" for girls who may not otherwise be able to attend a camp among many other obligations.  Sure there are "middle-men" (women) but would you volunteer to run an organization with over a million members w/o pay? In recent yrs. the numbers have been nearly halved in part because of bad press about those cookies.  My wife was a scout, was a leader for years, my 3 daughters were scouts all through high school and one is currently a leader and has been one even while in college.  The girl scouts keep getting a bad rap for "sending little girls out to sell cookies", well what would be the other option?  Donations?  Yes you can make donations just not to a scout while they are selling the cookies, merely send it to the local troop via mail.

Sorry Rog, just one of my pet peeves, you were just unlucky enough to bring up the subject :-\

Pete
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

Offline Al W

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 09:06:26 am »
Shogun - would you be willing/able to provide additional information regarding this - where I might be able to read more about this situation.

Thanks in advance

Al
Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

Offline mickey357

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 08:40:46 am »
I agree with you 100%. Please check out http://www.military-money-matters.com/disabled-american-veterans.html#axzz2gqn1nzNl , I have been giving to DAV for years. Check them out and see if the are the right one for you.
 The bottom line;
Program expenses: $119,841,959 (77%)
Fundraising expenses: $30,546,235 (20%)
Administrative expenses: $4,592,505 (3%)

You will never find a  organizations  that gives 100%, you have to pick the one you like with the highest % going to help. Good luck and God Bless you for helping others.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 08:48:12 am by mickey357 »

Shogun

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2013, 09:34:27 am »
Al, I'm afraid I don't have any additional info at the moment. If I find some I will let you know.

EIEIO, Thank you for the offer. My club doesn't meet till next week to discuss this but I will let you know what we decide.

MRSN, I am truly sorry for your loss. I know first hand how difficult it can be dealing with PTSD.

Mickey357, it may be difficult to find organizations that give 100% bit it should be criminal for some one to receive a $350,000 salary Plus bonuses for something like this. I don't care how you slice it.

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2013, 04:48:48 pm »
Unfortunately a lot of "charity organizations" take most of the money for salaries & very little goes where it was intended. :(
Bob Making sawdust in SW Louisiana with a
EX-21

Offline crupiea

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 09:01:58 am »
It does seem like quite a bit but keep in mind how much that 38% actually equates too.

An enourmous amount. Most people wont give to an off brand charity so they are also giving because they at least feel like they can trust the organization to direct the money to the right place.

Most big charities are well paying jobs.  Its a special skill set.

The advertising will eat a big chunk of it as well but thats how you become a nationally known charity.

Look into all the big name ones and you will see the same thing.  You have to pay to get your name big but also that means more donations roll in.

If they gave 100% away then how could they attract executives with business sense to manage the giant company? 

SMF

Teknoromi