Author Topic: Need Scroll Saw recommendation please  (Read 3094 times)

dornellas

Need Scroll Saw recommendation please
« on: December 01, 2014, 07:33:26 am »
I'm needing a new scroll saw but money's tight. I cut 3/4" plywood and up to 1/2" mdf....straight and intricate cuts. I use my scroll saw at least once a day. I had purchased a used Delta 16? scroll saw (Model SS350) with a stand off Craigslist a year ago. It?s an amazing saw and ideal for what I use it for ? wood and mdf, intricate cuts etc. BUT, I?ve had to sort of rig the blade holder and just need to invest in a new scroll saw. I want to
ensure I?m staying in the same quality as this amazing saw BUT after much research - learned that this was a pretty remarkable saw and for less than $400 can't really match it's quality....looking for the next best option. Greatly appreciate input.

Here?s what I?m looking at this point ? can?t seem to find the difference between the first two ? the price is virtually the same but
curious if one model is better than the other.   Thank you for your input. All these are at Lowes.

PORTER-CABLE 1.6-Amp Variable Speed Scroll Saw
?   Item #: 93926
?   Model #: PCB370SS
http://www.lowes.com/pd_432508-46069-PCB375SS_0__?productId=50107044&Ntt=scroll+saw&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dscroll%2Bsaw&facetInfo=

PORTER-CABLE 1.6-Amp Variable Speed Scroll Saw
Item #: 432508 |  Model #: PCB375SS
http://www.lowes.com/pd_93926-46069-PCB370SS_0__?productId=3163797&Ntt=scroll+saw&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dscroll%2Bsaw&facetInfo=

DELTA 1.3-Amp Variable Speed Scroll Saw
Item #: 594182 |  Model #: 40-694
http://www.lowes.com/pd_594182-34340-40-694_0__?productId=50160831&Ntt=scroll+saw&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dscroll%2Bsaw&facetInfo=

Offline ALG

• View Profile
Re: Need Scroll Saw recommendation please
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 03:00:23 pm »
I have the Delta 40-694 and have no problems.
I have no knowledge of the Porter Cable.

Delta & Dewalt are made in Tawain also.

Offline jerry1939

• Iowa - 2 seasons. Winter & road construction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 06:10:50 pm »
I noticed that the 3 saws you looked at are from Lowes.

FYI:  I am a Military Veteran.  Lowes gives a 10% discount on every item in the store, every day of the week.  IF you buy there, grab a Veteran by the ears and take him or her along to pay the bill.  Proof of Service needs to be shown.  I had a Copy Shop shrink my Discharge & had it laminated.  Also have a VA card.  Sometimes they want one, sometimes the other.  My Iowa Drivers License also shows "Veteran."

jerry

BarryK

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 04:04:28 pm »
I also have a Delta 40-694. I love it just got it a couple weeks ago. I really like that you can raise the arm when doing fret work moving from hole to hole.

BarryK

Offline kenreich

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 09:26:54 am »
Jerry1939 - I'm very disgusted with your remark.  You - a veteran - encouraging someone to fraudulently take advantage of a veteran discount at Lowe's.  I just saw a story on Good Morning America talking about "Stolen Valor".  This is exactly what you are encouraging.  This kind of activity is what does away with businesses good will for all kinds of good benefits - veterans, disabled, etc.

At first I was going to let it go, but I just couldn't.  Dornellas - I encourage you to ignore his advice and do the honrable thing!

BTW - I'm not a veteran, but extremely grateful for those who serve, served and those that paid the ultimate price for the freedoms I enjoy today.  I am proud to say my son-in-law is a current member of the US Air Force.

Ken

Offline jerry1939

• Iowa - 2 seasons. Winter & road construction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 11:29:13 am »
Ken,

I will consider my A___ chewed.

As we all know, some people see a glass as half full and others see it half empty.  IF I personally can help someone save a buck, I do it.

I apologize for the fact that I offended you, and anyone else.

jerry

SMF

Teknoromi