Author Topic: Being a Geek....  (Read 1771 times)

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Being a Geek....
« on: August 26, 2011, 11:19:14 am »
sure came in handy the other day....

I was having a bit of a problem with my Win XP Pro machine intermittently shutting down without warning.
First thought, "How long has it been since I cleaned out the guts of dust?"
So I pulled all the cords, took it apart and vacuumed and blew all the little dust bunnies out and was so happy it was all clean and shiny.
Plugged it in and pressed the button and NOTHING!
So I pulled it apart again, removed and replaced the power supply (30 minutes), fired her up and away I went....

HOWEVER now every time I boot up I get a message to "Check System Health!".

Still running fine, temps are in the correct range and I have no idea what is wrong, if anything....

I just know that with a three year old system that has been 'rode hard and put away wet' more often than not I may be living on borrowed time.

Just hope it holds together until after the surgery so I can re-build while recuperating and not now.

Wish me luck!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Chachi

Re: Being a Geek....
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 01:24:23 pm »
Well Good luck and system heatlh check may just be because you changed out the power supply I wouldn't worry about it to to much and let this be a lesson to you all I had to take mine apart the other day and clean it all out I was making a rough grinding sound and shutting off with out warning so I did the same thing took it apart cleaned it all out with the blower and put her back togther again and now she runs like a champ...
Great tip GB for sure so How long you gonna be Down GB?

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 01:34:29 pm »
Supposed to come home same day for recuoup and rest...afew days of little activity and then light duty for a couple weeks.
After that I return to have the 'processor' turned on and start the 'learning process'.

I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 01:39:56 pm »
Will we have to call you Steve Austin, the bionic man?
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 01:42:02 pm »
I'm getting there....one titanium knee, cochlear Implant, stainless 'bridgework'!

~~~GB~~~

Chachi

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 01:43:50 pm »
I doubt that Gabby but we will need to watch what we say now we can no longer talk about Gb on his bad side anymore lol

@GB well take it easy It will be a lot to learn and ajust to you will be missed round here but your health and hearing is much more important then anything else.

EDITED: WOW GB we may have to start calling that

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 01:47:17 pm »
I'm getting there....one titanium knee, cochlear Implant, stainless 'bridgework'!

~~~GB~~~

When I get to that point I think I'll just send this old wreck to the scrap yard. The warranty has expired anyway. And it wasn't the best model to start with.  LOL

Uh OH Chachi is "sucking up" again I see  ;D
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

Chachi

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 01:47:59 pm »
YEP YEP  ;D

Mainewoods

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 02:41:37 pm »
GB = Genus Bionic? ::) :P

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 04:24:58 pm »
I think I can relate GB, you have problems hearing, and I can't get my ears to quit squealing 24/7.  What everybody calls ringing is more like an electronic squeal to me.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 04:27:46 pm »
Oh...I have some 'tinnitis' too! but they guarantee me it will NOT be in the ear that is being repaired.

~~~GB~~~

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 12:06:14 am »
I think I can relate GB, you have problems hearing, and I can't get my ears to quit squealing 24/7.  What everybody calls ringing is more like an electronic squeal to me.

Those murder cycles without mufflers will do that to you, along with .357 or .44 magnums, and 8 or 10 hour days on heavy equipment. Can't hear the crickets anymore unless I'm right on top of one. Drives a feller nuts!
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

stephenD

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, 07:15:02 pm »
The morning after I got my hearing aids I took my coffee out to the front porch and there were birds twitering!
I hadn't heard them for so long I had forgotten all about the cheerful noise they make.
So much better being able to hear without my hand behind my ear. 

SMF

Teknoromi