Author Topic: Adventures with a new saw!  (Read 2292 times)

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
Adventures with a new saw!
« on: August 11, 2015, 03:56:36 pm »
Once upon a time, a little girl (65 years old) ordered a new Excalibur-21 scroll saw. It arrived last week and it's been quite an adventure getting things ready to cut.  It's all going to work out, just a lot of work to get there.  I thought all there was to do was take the DeWalt off the desk and replace it with the new saw.  Not so!  It's a different height and shape than the old one, so my custom designed dust control system had to be re-worked.  Also, more vibration that I was used to, so I bolted it to the desk....that made things much worse.  This desk in 6 feet on each side, built into a corner.  Made of 2X6's with plywood over the top to make it all smooth.  Love my desk!  The larger saw goes in the corner, and the Ex-16 on the right end.

This desk is bolted to a plywood floor - in the garage - so it stays warmer for me to work.  Unfortunately, the stringers for the floor aren't bolted into the concrete, so it sort of turned it into a trampoline!  Next step was trying to put the saw on it's stand to see if that would isolate the motion. The inside corner of my wonderful desk now needed to be cut out so the stand would slide back into place.  Next problem was the height of the stand....it adjusts from what they call normal chair height to full standing height.  Maybe you can sit and saw if you're 6 feet tall, but at short of 5' 4", it was WAY to high.  Next fun step was to cut 4 holes in the floor and drop it down right on the concrete.  But that was 5", so now too short!  Actually it wasn't bad as far as cutting, but my knees hit right on the cross bar of the stand.  SO, next step, tomorrow when I get up the nerve to ask Hubby for help - AGAIN - is to pull it out of the holes and raise the stand to the next holes, which will be 2" and should be just great.

The saw itself is working out fine.  Some of the concerns I had with the Ex-16 was the slow speed, and this one is faster...1550 SPM instead of 1400.  Also, the table of the smaller saw has several spots around the edges that were high and the wood would drag on them.  The new table seems to be nice and flat.  The vibration is much better.  Actually if I put my hand on the table, I don't feel hardly anything, but while sawing, it's like maybe there's more of a pulling up motion of the blade, making it so I have to hold the workpiece down harder.  Noticed that with the smaller one also, so maybe something about the angle of the blade.

Anyway,  soon everything will be back to normal, and the little girl can live happily ever after.
Nancy from Washington state
I'd give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter!

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
Re: Adventures with a new saw!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 09:47:51 pm »
Sounds like you are in for a grand adventure.  Scrolling can be very rewarding.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 09:41:23 am »
Congratulations! My granddaddy always said that I would appreciate things more if I had to work for them. I am 72 and it seems this idea of his never stops!  ;D ;)

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 05:57:21 am »
Help arrived for the little girl!  The handsome prince - AKA hubby Paul - pulled the saw and stand out of the holes and raised it 2" to the next height.  That sounds so simple, but of course, this is an adventure, so it wasn't as simple as we thought it would be.  If we had really thought about it ahead of time, we would have realized that a stand that flares out on the bottom is going to be wider when you raise the height....so...the holes now needed to be re-cut to fit.

I'll cut some thin pieces to cover the excess area around the holes and that will finish it.  The saw is finally in place and hopefully I can get back to actually cutting.  Life is good!

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 10:38:38 am »
I'm a bit late to the party and it is all too late anyway but......
I would have to think long and hard about it before I would cut holes in the floor to get the proper table height.  :o 
I would have considered building a small platform to stand or sit on and adjust ME to the saw instead of adjusting the SAW by lowering the floor to me!  :o
Just my dos centavos worth.  ;)

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 11:42:03 am »
We did consider a platform, but since this is quite a small space, there just wasn't room.  My scroll room is about 10X11 feet, and the desk was built into the corner.  The door is at the right end, and the left end joins another 5" corner desk with my computer.  At the end of that is a file cabinet, stereo cabinet and that goes clear to the 8" table on the far side of the room, with a drawer unit on the end, coming back around to the door.  As you can see, REALLY full, and a raised platform would just be in the way.

The scroll room is just one corner of the garage, made with foam panels over studs, and if we ever sell the house, the next owner will undoubtedly want to rip it out anyway, so they can use the garage for actual cars.  So, while it is kind of strange to cut holes in the floor, in this case it seemed best.  I tried growing enough to fit their stand, but that didn't work!
Nancy

Offline jerry1939

• Iowa - 2 seasons. Winter & road construction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 09:40:09 pm »
Hi Nice Lady,

Just doesn't seem fair that you get all the fun in life, while the rest of us plunder along in a dazed stupor.   :)   :)   :)

jerry

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 04:33:31 am »
mine ex-21 came with a stand that help keep it from jumping about.

enjoy.

you can all ways put sand bags on the stand to.

enjoy.

have fun..

you don't look a day over 44 years old.
SPIDERMAN THE KING OF THE WEB

SMF

Teknoromi