Author Topic: Abandoning my beloved DeWalt 788's  (Read 2581 times)

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
Abandoning my beloved DeWalt 788's
« on: August 03, 2015, 02:18:53 pm »
Can't even believe I'm having to do this, but DeWalt has forced me to be an Excalibur gal. After 3 tries in their own repair shops,  the old saw has not been fixed.  There's 2 old Type 2 saws, one is 7-8 years old, and the other 10-12 years, both needing repair work by now.  I know tools need repair from time to time, but DeWalt is either unable or unwilling to fix the problems.  They did say they would help me order parts if I wanted to fix them myself!

I had heard about problems with the newer Type 2, but decided to give them a try.  Bought one in May, returned it in June for another, and July for another.  Today that 3rd one is going back too, and I officially give up.  For someone who uses the saw on an occasional basis, these last 3 saws  probably would have been fine, but I put LOTS of hours on my saws, and these were just rattling themselves apart in this short time.

The 16" Excalibur I bought last year hasn't had much use, since I don't care for it as well as the DeWalts...when they work.  But now it's going to get plenty of work, along with the 21" big brother that's due Thursday from Ray at Seyco.

It's a sad day when the saws you've loved for so many years have to be given up, but that was DeWalt's decision, not mine.  Guess it's time to move on.
Nancy
Nancy from Washington state
I'd give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter!

Offline herrwood

• View Profile
Re: Abandoning my beloved DeWalt 788's
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 03:59:18 pm »
I have the 788 and am the hobby type user so no problems.
I have  purchased a number of dewalt in the past few years and would consider them good home use type tools but as you found not  full time commercial tools.

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 04:06:01 pm »
I am to the point where if my Dewalt dies I will get an Excaliber.  I have been slowly moving in that direction.  So don't feel badly Nancy get the other saw and see if you can resurrect one of the other saws for a backup.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline Brian Pardue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 04:14:31 pm »
I bought a new Dewalt a few months ago and it is holding up great. I'm cutting around 25-30hours a week

Offline woodworker13403A

• DeWalt 788 (type 1) and Ex 21
    • View Profile
    • The Scroller and Toler
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 11:09:11 pm »
I have a type 1 788 that I bought back in '96 and it works just as good as when I bought it. I am retired and it gets used just about every day for 3 or 4 hours at a time. I have been advised to upgrade to an Excal, but the way it is running I have no desire to.
Rick
Rick
woodworker13403A
www.thescrollerandtoler.com
DeWalt 788 (Type 1)and Ex 21
Check us out on Pinterest,Face Book and Instragram

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 11:42:02 pm »
Hi Rick,  I can surely understand you not wanting to change if your saw is working just fine now.  Unfortunately, from the horrible sounds coming from one of mine, I think the bearings are going out.  The other may just need a new tension cam, but I'm REALLY not mechanical. 

I've learned a lot about the saw from the video the Gwinette Woodworkers put on You Tube.  Mostly I learned that I can't do the repairs myself!  Since my internet is pretty slow, I contacted them and they sent me a DVD of all 4 parts of the video...in exchange for a contribution to their woodworking club.  Seemed like a fair deal to me.
Nancy
Nancy from Washington state
I'd give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter!

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 09:40:42 am »
I think you'll really like the EX-21 when you get going on it. The tilting head is a big advantage, especially for steeper angles. It will take some time to get used to not setting blade tension, but it seems to work well. Be careful if you mess with the arm tilt detent screw - it is easy to turn it in too far and cause the screw (rather than the spring ball) to scrape the arm. 1/6 turn at a time until it holds w/o a rub.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline sawdust703

• to soon old, to late smart
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 11:39:32 am »
My condolences on your DeWalts, Miss Nancy. I have an acquaintance here in our community that's a farmer/rancher. The only time he has to scroll is in the calving barn in the winter time. But he's on his fourth DeWalt 788, & he has told me about the same thing you just did. I told him were it me, I'd be lookin at another breed of saw. I suggested Hawk, as I own a 220 VS & have had no problems getting parts, tech support, & questions answered by Hawk. I bought my saw used on eBay, and it is a 20 yr. Old saw, but it is an awesome machine!! I spend 6 - 8 hours a day on it, easily. I had to semi retire my Hitachi due to the fact of parts availability. Its still in use, just not as much. I've had it for 12 years. So I understand how you feel. Good luck with your Excalibur. Enjoy the day! :)
Sawdust703(Brad)

SMF

Teknoromi