Author Topic: New member from Washington state  (Read 2662 times)

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
New member from Washington state
« on: March 21, 2015, 04:33:12 pm »
 :)Hi, I'm Nancy from Blaine, Washington.  I've gotten Steve's newsletter for several years, but never joined the Forum.  I've been scrolling for about a dozen years now and do almost exclusively fretwork...ornaments, wine glass caddies, crosses, shelves and plaques.

My first 2 saws were DeWalts, and I love them except for the threads in the bottom blade holders are getting kind of sloppy.  Can't seem to find replacements or a machine shop to make them from steel. The DeWalt website has had them back ordered for months now. 

I bought a 16" Excalibur last summer, and I like some things about it, and not others.  The painted on surface of the table is now wearing off and the wood drags on the spots of bare metal. Wax doesn't seem to help much. Also, the cheesy little plastic flip tension part has already needed to be replaced.  It is nice that the replacement parts that actually touch the blade are interchangeable with my DeWalts.

For my real job, I wholesale a wooden wine bottle holder in the shape of a golf club.  It's my Dad's invention, under the name of Duffer Bob's Wine Club, and we've sold over 250,000 of them.

My next project will be a pair of 70" wide door toppers for the exterior of my house...one over the front door, and one over the sliding glass door in the upper porch.  I made one of these for a friend and they look really nice.  It's the top of a really enlarged fretwork picture frame, and of course has to be made in several pieces.  Also made porch brackets for the front.  I love to scroll!

Nancy from Washington state
I'd give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter!

pddesertrat

Re: New member from Washington state
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 06:10:34 pm »
Nancy, welcome to the forum.  Glad to have you.  I am Paul from the other side of the state, the dry but not as beautiful side.   I live near the Tri-Cities.

On the DeWalt and Excalibur saws it is good to put a dab of "Anti-seize" lubricant on the treads of the nuts that hold the blades in the holders.  This helps prevent the steel bolt from stripping the threads in the aluminum holder.  On the Excalibur, I put a little vaseoline on the nylon tension lever.  I have had my Ex since last July, scrolled a lot on it still works as it should.  You may already know this, but in case you do not I threw it in.

I'm anxious to see some of your work.  We love pictures here.

Rover2

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 07:29:14 pm »
Welcome to the forum Nancy.  I am Al from south TN.  I agree, a little lubricant at the base of the tension lever after a few hours of use will keep it working fine for a long time.  My EX-21 is over a year old and the lever still works as it should.  looking forward to seeing some pictures of your work.  ;D ;D :) :)

Offline tommyb43

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 06:50:52 am »
Welcome to the forum Nancy. 

I am Tom an newbie from Ipswich Suffolk United Kingdom

A real nice bunch on here

Offline pierre62

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 06:57:38 am »
Welcome to the forum Nancy. 

I am Pierre from Qu?bec Canada.
Pierre

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 07:17:01 am »
Glad you found us and joined Nancy. Russ from Florida here, welcome to the Scrollsaw Forum.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 08:15:55 am »
Hi Nancy and welcome to the forum.  I'm Julie from Texas.  My EX is so old it doesn't have that plastic lever.  My has a slide lever on the side and doesn't have that rear tensioner.  I wouldn't trade it for any other.  I'd love to see the end result on your door topper.  I've thought of doing that and never gotten around to it.  Glad you're here.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
Re: New member from Washington state0
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 03:59:41 pm »
hey - that wine club is pretty neat. 250,000? How do you get them manufactured?
http://dufferbob.com
BTW - welcome to the forum. Ray (EIEIO) from Central Ohio, but in San Francisco this week for a business meeting.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

pddesertrat

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2015, 04:17:38 pm »
I meant to go look that sire up and you made it easy, thanks Ray.  Pretty neat bottle holders.  I could see that same style with other patterns, claw foot, dog/cat paw, horse hoof, etc.  Coarse they would require more time for carving, hence more expensive.  Also like the swing glass holders.  Some pretty stuff.

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2015, 05:12:55 pm »
My Dad and son Mick made the first 30,000 or so, but we got way too busy with orders, so now we contract out. Dad holds the design patent on the golf club shape.  He tried lots of other designs...fish, ski, baseball bat and more, but none ever took off like the golf club.

I personally make the wine glass caddies. There's nothing I like better than wood shopping, but sometimes I have trouble letting some pieces go. I just finished up an order for 100 of them...all one design.  I'm now officially sick of cutting it!

Plaques are new for me, most come from Keith Fenton at Sheila Landry Designs.  Between the 2 of them, and Sue Mey, I think they're trying to bankrupt me with all the great new patterns they design!
Nancy from Washington state
I'd give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter!

pddesertrat

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2015, 06:21:21 pm »
Now does that prove golfers are a bunch of winos?? ::) ::)

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 02:01:18 am »
G'day Nancy, welcome to the forum.  I'm Marg from Australia.  Great to have you here, make yourself at home.

Marg

MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 11:33:10 pm »
Hi Nancy.  Good to have you join us and to hear about all that you do.  I'm John, your southern neighbor in Bellevue, WA.  I'm not the craftsman that many on the forum seem to be, but I do enjoy scrolling and gifting the various things I make.  Great hobby.
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

Offline gordster

• Nova Scotia, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 06:08:43 am »
Hello Nancy,welcome aboard..I'm Gordie from Nova Scotia,Canada
Gordie

SMF

Teknoromi