Author Topic: Delta 40-690 / Dewalt DW788 for-aft blade movement  (Read 1825 times)

TT123

Delta 40-690 / Dewalt DW788 for-aft blade movement
« on: April 04, 2012, 08:44:05 am »
To what degree would 2mm for-aft up down but perpendicular stroke affect a saw? Will I always have to compensate?
I am taking my new Delta to the factory service center to see what they say but the end users always know best and I am looking for some straight answers. I am new to scrolling and want to start out right.
Tom

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
Re: Delta 40-690 / Dewalt DW788 for-aft blade movement
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 12:33:43 pm »
TT, I have just under 3mm forward/backward movement of my blade.  I don't think much can be done to reduce to movement to zero, it's the geometry of the saw, although some people have had some success with adjustments. Take a look at http://www.scrollsaws.com/ under Dewalt Tune-up (on the left hand side).  Your 40-690 is the same as the Dewalt 788, except for the paint job. (Edit - Oops, I skipped part of the title of the post.)

One adjustment some have made is to raise the back of the table until the blade is perpendicular to the table, when viewed from the side.  Take a look at http://stevedgood.com/community/index.php?topic=9265.0, there is some info on adjusting the back and forth movement and also on raising the back of the table.

If you take it to service, let us know what they did and if it was successful.  By the way, now that Dewalt and Delta are separate companies, who is doing the service?  Has Delta set up their own centres?

Good luck,
Jim
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 12:59:51 pm by jscott2 »
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

TT123

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 03:57:55 pm »
Jim
Just got home from leaving my saw at the Factory Service Center, I was not impressed. I have shoes older than the young men looking at my saw. I just don't have much confidence. They weren't even willing to call the product service engineer for advice and any plan of action. I may be set for 5 years of this before I can make any attempts at some of the internet fixes I have found.
I sure had not heard Delta was not under the same corporate boondoggle as Dewalt Porter-Cable and Black & Decker.
All I can say is my 1940's Unisaw, 14" drill press; 6"beltsander and 6" jointer are of a different quality. Even my Delta 1980's band saw is of no comparison.
I have a mind to call and leave my displeasure with a Delta supervisor.
I am no creep, just a guy that gets what he pays for.
Tom

TT123

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 05:30:19 pm »
Jm
One quick note; I spoke to a Delta phone support tech, a nice guy for a swabby, ( I was a Coastie ) anyhow he will call the tech at the service center and offer suggestion before throwing parts at my saw. Will keep you posted. Thanks for the url to solution.
Tom

TT123

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 04:57:09 pm »
Well to take my saw to the service center was a waste of time.
Mom's not been well, Alzheimers and a bad fall, I will get back to trying a few things later.
Tom

SMF

Teknoromi