Author Topic: scroll saw  (Read 4449 times)

Dav

scroll saw
« on: March 19, 2012, 04:43:55 pm »
any one use or have used a new sears scroll saw?  Which one and how do you like it?  the park I stay in texas during the winter is going to buy anew saw and is set on a sears I'm pushing for a dewalt but with no luck because of the price difference even if I say you get what you pay for.

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
Re: scroll saw
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 05:02:51 pm »
I haven't used one, but I don't like the way they feel.
Do you have a Lowes near by? The Porter-Cable is typically rated one of the better cheap saws.

UHMNL

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 05:05:50 pm »
Make sure that it takes pin-less blades. Most designers design patterns for them.
With pin blades it takes a big hole to get the blade through.
FD Mike

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 06:03:47 pm »
Dav...I would URGE them to stay away from any of the recent models of Craftsman saw!

Try and talk them into the Porter Cable from Lowes....rated well and comes with light and stand.

My nickel's worth!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

ros123

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 08:17:07 pm »
Dav, I have the 18 in. variable speed Craftsman Model No. 315.216090.  So far, no problems.  It has the on/off, tension and blade release at the front.  I love the blade clamps.  They keep the blade ends straight and i don't have any slipping in the clamps like I did with my ryobi.  I like that the on off switch is a knob that pulls out to turn the saw on and off instead of a switch.  The blower works very well.  It also comes with a foot pedal.  Basically I just looked at the saws and went with one that has Steve's recommendations from his video.  It shakes quite a bit at full speed, but i rarely run it that way.  I run at about 1200 with little vibration, which is good enough for me.  It would probable run smoother on a proper stand and not just sitting on my table.  So far, I have not been disappointed with my saw.  I like that they have repair shops locally in case anything goes wrong.  Check it out on their website.

Since I seem to be one of the only ones to use and be happy with a Craftsman, I thought I would put in my 2 cents.  Oh, and the price wasn't bad.  It was $220.00 US.  Now off I run, back to lurkdom...

Ros

Offline chelcass

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 11:29:51 am »
We have two Craftsman saws.  16in. variable model 137-216020.  Bought it new online at Sears site.  They were giving 10% off and free shipping to nearest Sears store.  Since we had a Sears in town it worked for us. payed under 200.00 for it.  Second Craftsman is a 16in variable model 137.216010.  It has a blower, work light, tilt table and a level. Paid 75.00 at a yard sale.

Both saws take pin and pinless blades.  Both are easy blade changing.  We like our saws, maybe someday we will stepup but for now these work just fine.  Vibration level is quite low on both and tension adjustment is quick and easy.

For the price they are both great machines.
ChelCass

Offline skip

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 11:55:17 am »
i use an 18 inch craftsman  saw    works for me    i do a lot of cutting  with it  works good   my 2 cents       skip

Offline beginner

• Maker of custom fire wood
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 01:31:06 pm »
I usr the 16" craftsman.  The only problem is when you adjust the speed the least vibration is either slow or almost max speed.  In the middle it do vibrate.  I have had it about 1 year and it's not the best but it works.
Jim

Offline geneVG

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 10:47:36 pm »
I have used Craftman scrollsaws for over two years and I really liked the 18 inch one.  I have not had one minute of trouble with it, and you can cut anything you want on it.  I have a 16 & 18 inch craftman and my new 20 inch delta.  and the craftman are still working fine.

gene
Gene Van Grevenhof

thumbs

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 09:06:51 am »
The 18 inch saw at sears is a exact clone of the Ryobi 18 inch--I started with the  Roybi, the to Dewalt and now ex-21--still have the ryobi at my son's house in Kentucky to us when we visit--It has been through a lot and works fine--JMHO--Richard aka thumbs

SMF

Teknoromi