Author Topic: Very Envious!!!!  (Read 2634 times)

noahandgabrielsdad

Very Envious!!!!
« on: February 04, 2012, 01:27:09 am »
Hi all.
I have lately been getting scrollsaw  mags from the US, and am very envious of the hobby stores you have there selling a vast range of timber for this subject.
Very difficult here in England to source this range and no-one sells the offcut size  timber that i see advertised in your part of the world.
Perhaps someone knows of any place where i can get a good range of different timbers in the smaller craft size pieces in the UK. without literally have to buy a massive plank of each, or is this something that you all do and i will have to face facts.???????
I think scrollsawing is no where near as popular here as America and Canada, so perhaps i am answering that question myself,eh?
I will be very interested in all of your views on this subject.

normcat

Re: Very Envious!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 07:02:10 am »
Hi nohandgabriels

Look for suppliers that sell wood for turning. They usually stock smaller pieces  and have a nice selection of different woods. I have just found such a place in Glasgow but unfortunately no use to you as they don't do mail order. If you look at ukworkshop they have a list of timber suppliers in various parts of the country, also try turners retreat. Hope this helps.

Norrie

royb

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 02:43:54 pm »
Hi.
I've just received a delivery of wood from a company in Scotland called Ullapool Woodturning Centre.  I've been sent 9 different types of hardwoods ranging from Oak and Elm to Purpleheart and Pau Amarillo.  Alec, the owner will plane the blanks down to 7mm thick, up to 8" wide and 3' long.  It might be an idea to email or ring him for some prices and compare them to other companies like TimberCut4U who offer hardwoods at 7mm thick. I've been looking for months to find a local supplier but there is no-one who will supply the thinner blanks. 
Did you not have any luck Norrie with this company?  Even with delivery costs the wood I received was much cheaper than the alternative.
Roy

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 03:34:30 pm »
I cut and plane all my wood for scrolling as to buy it would be too expensive, I use mainly recycled wood and it is all native timber, the outlay for machinery may be high but it does works out cheaper in the long run
Jimbo

grampa

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 03:37:30 pm »
Hi Here is a place in Kent that may be of use.........Paul
http://www.exotichardwoods.co.uk/Woods_List/Boxmaker.asp

normcat

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 05:53:12 pm »
Hi royb,
Looked at the site and it looks good. Was thinking about ordering some from there when I discovered this place in Glasgow. It's 15 minutes from me and I can pick what I like. Owner seems a nice lad,even offered to cut bits off larger pieces if I only needed a small piece. No facilities for mail order or card payments however. If your ever in Glasgow let me know and I'll get you directions.
I have a touring caravan and will be going north in the summer so will try and visit
Ullapool.
Forget to metion I have facilities to prepare my own timber so don't need it planed

Norrie
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 05:56:12 pm by normcat »

Offline BigPete

• Bonnie Scotland !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 04:20:10 am »
Hi royb,
Looked at the site and it looks good. Was thinking about ordering some from there when I discovered this place in Glasgow. It's 15 minutes from me and I can pick what I like. Owner seems a nice lad,even offered to cut bits off larger pieces if I only needed a small piece. No facilities for mail order or card payments however. If your ever in Glasgow let me know and I'll get you directions.
I have a touring caravan and will be going north in the summer so will try and visit
Ullapool.
Forget to metion I have facilities to prepare my own timber so don't need it planed

Norrie

Hi Norrie ,what is the address in glasgow as i may pay it a visit  thanks ...Pete
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 04:21:56 am by BigPete »
War does not determine who is right - Only who is left !

grampa

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 11:07:51 am »
Here you go Pete, Even a map to boot......Paul
http://www.ullapoolwoodturningcentre.co.uk/index_files/Page484.htm

Offline BigPete

• Bonnie Scotland !
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 11:54:35 am »
Thanks Paul,  But it was the place in Glasgow i was looking for my friend  ;)...Pete

normcat

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 01:08:24 pm »
Pete, if you type in Reid Timber glasgow you should get the website which has a map and address. Easier for you than me trying to give you directions. It's a small industrial unit not clearly marked but look for the unit manufacturing granite worktops it's next door.
Sorry can't get the link to work like Paul but if you need any more info let me know.

Norrie

grampa

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 02:32:35 pm »
Pete, if you type in Reid Timber glasgow you should get the website which has a map and address. Easier for you than me trying to give you directions. It's a small industrial unit not clearly marked but look for the unit manufacturing granite worktops it's next door.
Sorry can't get the link to work like Paul but if you need any more info let me know.

Norrie

http://www.spanglefish.com/Woodcarving-Scotland/

normcat

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, 04:43:54 pm »
Thanks grampa link not working for me, more than likely operator error  ::)

Offline BigPete

• Bonnie Scotland !
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 03:03:11 am »
Thanks Norrie ,And Thanks Paul ...Pete

noahandgabrielsdad

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 04:34:52 am »
 :o
Thanks everyone for your help........i am now looking into the sites mentioned.

Offline iggygiles

• I jus love sawdust
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 05:00:26 am »
Hi Neil welcome. there is a well respected company, I guess not TOOO far from you called John Boddys at Borough bridge N.Yorks. They have been about forever and have a world wide collection of hardwoods that incudes turning blanks, vaneers, machined or sawn timber of most of the planets hardwoods. here is a link
http://www.john-boddys-fwts.co.uk/ hope that you get sorted Iggy
Frustration is the food of invention.

SMF

Teknoromi