Author Topic: Blade control  (Read 3066 times)

Offline Raptor66

• View Profile
Blade control
« on: December 15, 2011, 03:21:21 pm »
I hope I'm not asking too many questions but I am learning. 

I am having trouble controlling some blades.  I don't have any problem with most of the Olson blades but I do have more trouble with the FD blades.  The FD tend to "fly" all over the place.  They are sharp and last pretty long but are harder to control.  I am not giving up on either blade manuf.

Am I doing something wrong??  Is it the tension? Or is it just the nature of the two different manuf?  Am I going too fast?  I know it may be hard to help me but I figured someone has had this come up.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Chris
Chris

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: Blade control
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 03:27:54 pm »
Chris...the best advice we can give you is to call or email Mike. He can and WILL help you more than you will ever know.

http://www.mikesworkshop.com/index.htm

My first inclination and assessment of your 'problem' is that you do not have enough tension on the blade.

~~~GB~~~

Addendum: Remember that the same numbered blade from Olson and FD may be entirely different and will act accordingly.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 03:46:07 pm by GrayBeard »
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 03:39:15 pm »
I agree with GB, call Mike.  There are many things that factor into your problem including tension.  It could also be a matter of matching the size and attributes of the blade to the wood and the task at hand.  Mike is very helpful.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline Silver Sliver

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 04:50:33 pm »
I wonder if you may be pushing the wood too hard.  If you are used to pushing the wood into the less aggressive blade with a certain pressure, you may be using the same pressure on the more aggressive blade.  Let the blade do the cutting.  Just a light push is all that is needed.

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 05:21:19 pm »
I wonder if you may be pushing the wood too hard.  If you are used to pushing the wood into the less aggressive blade with a certain pressure, you may be using the same pressure on the more aggressive blade.  Let the blade do the cutting.  Just a light push is all that is needed.
Yes that is what I did (Pushed to hard) when I switched to FD blades.  They are a bit more aggresive.  I have learned to use these more aggresive blades now.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

daliclimbs

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 11:15:10 pm »
I went from el-cheapo blades to flying Dutchman and had the same problem. My way if solving it was just practicing with them. They are crazy sharp and take some getting used to. Just keep piddling with them.. you'll get it!

Offline BigPete

• Bonnie Scotland !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 02:11:25 am »
Stack cutting also helps as this offers more resistance ..Pete
War does not determine who is right - Only who is left !

tux_linux

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 02:17:44 am »
more tension. The FD-UR#2/0 is hard to control, but from #1 up it's just about a bit more tension to get the blade aligned.

UHMNL

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 02:41:52 pm »
Chris,
Not enough tension seems the problem. The blade should not move sideways more than 1/8" and that is almost too much. Have good speed, if not; you might have a tendency of pushing too hard into the blade. Let the blade do the cutting, they say.
You never can be in a hurry with very small blades.
FD Mike

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 03:09:06 pm »
A good woodworker is never in a hurry with ANY kind of BLADE! Being in a hurry and using dull blades is how you get into Deep Doo Doo!

Good Advice!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 03:12:57 pm »
I agree GB - and i've been too deep in that stuff in the past!!!!
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2011, 01:32:42 am »
Finger tip feed pressure with a tight blade and LISTEN to your saw it will tell you if you are doing something wrong. I like mine half again tighter than FD Mike!
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

tenfingers

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2011, 10:51:27 pm »
I've had less problems with control since I polished and waxed my table top. I hardly have to "push" the wood at all.

If you have a cast iron/steel top it would be much easier to cover it with formica. You could cut a hole for a zero clearence insert.

I've read (on the net) of someone who had their top coated with Teflon with good results.

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2011, 06:49:23 am »
My first guess would be not enough tension.
Bob Making sawdust in SW Louisiana with a
EX-21

malc

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2011, 07:12:39 am »
Steve has a recording of the correct blade tension on his workshop site. It should 'ping' at middle C.
Malc

SMF

Teknoromi