Author Topic: Blades  (Read 4371 times)

Offline geneVG

• View Profile
Blades
« on: July 14, 2011, 04:18:20 pm »
I need some information on lubercating blades.  I have been working with some Oak & Red Oak, and the blades get really hot. How do I lub the blade while makeing saw dust with hard lumber?
genevg
Gene Van Grevenhof

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
Re: Blades
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 05:13:44 pm »
The clear packaging tape is supposed to help that.
I suspect you may be putting side pressure on the blade, that will heat it up pretty quick.
I've been known to do that so I know from whence I speak. If you have a foot switch stop the blade and then watch how the wood moves when you let go. To the side would indicate side pressure! It's pretty easy to do, so I check myself regularly, and try to relax with the hold down hand, it's usually the culprit.
Good luck and I hope this helps,
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

UHMNL

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 05:57:02 pm »
Like Gabby is saying. Use the 2" clear package tape over the pattern. The tape has a chemical, so you can un-roll the tape, it is like a silicon. This releases friction. If you want to lub the blade, it does not last long, the heat will remove it real fast. Some people use the blue painters tape on the wood and glue the pattern on top of that. The tape works great on any hard wood. I like the package tape, if the if the pattern would come loose, it is easy to hold it down, till the pattern holds again. To make sure you don't get saw dust between the pattern and tape, make sure you go over the tape with your thumb.
If you do not use enough speed you might have a tendency pushing too hard into the blade and the blade will start cutting with a bevel. That is why I like good speed.
 FD Mike
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 03:20:28 pm by FD Mike »

tux_linux

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 06:31:53 pm »
Use the 2" clear package tape over  under the pattern.

You can simple rip the pattern off if the tape is between wood & pattern.
On thicker wood I tape both sides.

I also recommend to use a lower feed rate - don't push the wood through the blade, let the saw cut the wood.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 06:41:03 pm »
Gene, All of the above is good advise. I like to use the packing tape on top of the pattern, but it will work either way. If you are still burning, Go up one blade size.
Dan In Southern California

Offline geneVG

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 11:43:50 pm »
Thank you all for the help.  I will give it a try in the morning.

genevg
Gene Van Grevenhof

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 12:45:57 am »
I find oak to be one of the hardest things to cut. I end up using a size larger blade then I would if I was cutting most any other material. The packing tape does help alot.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 02:25:51 am »
Katie I've started a trivet out of the same Oak used in the enough friends project.
I have been following the advice of wiser heads and wraping it with blue tape first, then spray adhesive on one side then stick the pattern on, then wrap again with clear packing tape I hardly get a burn this way. I have no problem with FD-1 or larger I only have up to FD-5.
With this thick 3/4" I have to be patient and not force it otherwise no problems.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 07:34:19 am »
Gabby,  That's overkill on the tape.  Save yourself some money and go with one or the other.  It is not necessary to use both.  I don't like the glare on the clear tape so I either put it on the bottom or use the blue tape under the pattern.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 09:45:42 am »
That's a good tip julief!  I never thought about putting the tape on the bottom.  I use it on top but don't like how sometimes it traps sawdust on top of the pattern.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 10:37:24 am »
For me I like the clear packing tape on top of the pattern. I struggle to much trying to remove tape from the completed cutting. So I put the tape on top of the pattern. I don't have a problem with glare as I use a lighted magnifier lamp. It uses a florescent bulb, so no glare. I use a heat gun to remove the pattern, and the tape comes off with the pattern. If it gets stubborn, I spritz it with mineral spirits and it come right off!
Dan In Southern California

TomC

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 11:20:24 am »
I put the clear tape on top of the pattern - but have had difficulty with sawdust getting under the tape and obscuring the pattern - expecially in areas where the space between pattern lines is small.  the pattern (and tape) tend to lift off the wood and makes it difficult to see and follow the original pattern.  Not sure if i failed to de-dust the wood before applying the pattern or not enough spray adhesive....

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2011, 12:33:03 am »
The way I described works very well, no lifting of the pattern or the other problems. What I did find difficult was removing the clear packing tape that was directly on the wood. Hard as h--l to get it off and left adhesive to clean off too, the areas with the blue tape peeled right off no problem. No heat gun and the Boss would frown on my using her hair dryer.  :o :o
What ever works best for you!
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2011, 11:18:58 am »
No heat gun and the Boss would frown on my using her hair dryer.  :o :o
What ever works best for you!
Gabby

Well DOH!!!!! Go buy her a newer, better hair dryer and ask for a trade in on the old one. Then we have TWO happy people and you might even get your favorite supper and a big smooch to boot!

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2011, 12:19:03 pm »
Roger, my husband actually did that. lol
I came home from work one day and noticed a new hair dryer in the bathroom. My old one had a "convient" foldable handle that had been broke for a while, but I hadn't mentioned it to anyone since I am the only one who uses it. When I asked my husband why there was a new hair dryer he said "well I needed a heat gun, so I used your hair dryer. But then I dropped it and the handle broke so I got you a new one". I did eventually tell him that he didn't break it.

SMF

Teknoromi