Author Topic: top-vs-bottom feeders  (Read 2322 times)

shutterbugdm

top-vs-bottom feeders
« on: May 08, 2011, 03:16:09 pm »
When I started using my new DW788, I was a bottom feeder as this is what you had to do with the Dremel. After reading several posts, I am now using the top-feeder method except when I using spiral blades (really small cuts) or less that a nr. 3 blade on wood more than 3/8 thickness.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: top-vs-bottom feeders
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 04:25:44 pm »
Feed from the top?
Feed from the bottom?

I feed the way it is most comfortable and efficient for ME. Every one has their methods and reasons and that makes sense to me....

Do what You feel is most comfortable and efficient for You....

~~~GR~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline woodcutter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 04:31:58 pm »
I've also started using the top feeding method since reading other posts and with my new EX it is a faster and easyer way for me.
Jim

Dav

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 05:00:46 pm »
I have always fed from the bottom ..but have tried top feeding and when I do the blade hits the bed and bends it

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 05:08:30 pm »
With practice it will become second nature to line up the blade with the hole in the table!
Dan In Southern California

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 08:54:03 pm »
same here i find top feeding a lot easier then bottom feeding

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

ChuckD

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 12:29:08 am »
I prefer top feeding so much that I bought a P-20 so I could do it.  Now the P-20 won't hold the blades so I am back to bottom feeding with my Hegner.  Oh well, that's life..

Bill P

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 07:54:04 am »
I try to avoid becoming a bottom-feeder...I don't want to become an attorney.  :D

And, of course, I apologize to all attorneys on the forum for such a bad joke.

Bill

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 07:56:28 am »
I do a combination of both.  If I have drilled a very small hole, I tend to bottom feed.  I try to drill 1/16" most of the time so I can top feed but sometimes it necessary to use a smaller bit.

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 11:42:11 am »
When you talk about feeding the blade down thru the top of the wood don't you have problems with connecting the bottom of the blade to its bracket?
I know I sure would.  I am referring to a Hegner.  Highly un-heard to me as the blades have a special holder that needs to be completely off the saw to secure.  Then they kind of snap back into place.  Hey Julie you have a Hegner and you say you top feed.  Can you tell me how you do it?  Anyway back to the topic.  I have always fed the blade thru the bottom of the wood.
                          Later....  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 12:03:10 pm »
Hey Danny, In order to top feed, you need a saw with a lifting top arm like an Excalibur, DeWalt and Delta P20. I think Hawk has one too, but not sure.
Julie uses an Excalibur. I have a DeWalt.
I too used to bottom feed when I had a Dremel. When I got my first DeWalt, top feeding became second nature to me in no time!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 12:07:37 pm by dgman »
Dan In Southern California

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 12:08:58 pm »
Thank you for the info. dgman....  Kind of figured some saws were set up to be able to attach the bottom blade with out lookin.  Cool  Seen Steve Good's video about his Dewalt and he made it look like a piece of cake attaching the bottom blade.  Wow!  Like is 2 seconds.  LOL 
     Must have the wrong gal in mind.  Oh yea I know now.  Mrsn is who I am thinking of.  Tks again....  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Tim2beupinAz

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 12:49:25 pm »
I am a bottom feeder with a dewalt. I have not tried top feeding but after reading this I will try and see how it works. I can say bottom feeding takes a little more time to get it in the holes.

ChuckD

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 05:12:29 pm »
Thank you for the info. dgman....  Kind of figured some saws were set up to be able to attach the bottom blade with out lookin.  Cool  Seen Steve Good's video about his Dewalt and he made it look like a piece of cake attaching the bottom blade.  Wow!  Like is 2 seconds.  LOL 
     Must have the wrong gal in mind.  Oh yea I know now.  Mrsn is who I am thinking of.  Tks again....  Danny  :+}

I hope so, there is no way you can bottom feed with a Hegner.  After a while I get pretty fast in changing the blades in the holes, but nothing like top feeding.  But I am in no hurry.  And I don't bend over to look under the saw to change blades.

ShadowB6

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 10:42:44 am »
I'm with Dav on this one. I tried a couple of times to top feed but either bent my blade or had a hard time lining the blade with the table hole. Eventually I guess I'll get the heck of it, so every once in a while I try it a few more times. I will admit though, I'm getting better at setting the blade at the bottom without looking anymore.

Mike

SMF

Teknoromi