Author Topic: tilting scroll saw  (Read 4429 times)

Offline cliveg

• View Profile
tilting scroll saw
« on: February 21, 2011, 04:24:31 am »
hi
i have been thinking about tilting my saw slightly up at the back to hopfully make it
more comfortable when scrolling is there any thing i should be weary of will i need to clamp saw
extra weight ect very sorry if this has been posted b4 but i have  not found it yet
thanks and what a fantastic place this is

dankc908

Re: tilting scroll saw
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 07:21:36 am »
I've tilted mine 'considerably' and, no, I don't need to clamp it - the weight of the saw works quite well and I do find the tilted saw much more comfortable.

Offline Paw Paw Ray

• View Profile
    • Paw Paws Workshop
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 07:56:11 am »
Don't know if it has to be clamped or not as I tilted and bolted it to the table at the same time.  It't the only way I've used the saw in several yrs.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 09:50:38 am »
Tilted or not, it is a good idea to bolt your saw down in some way. (even clamps if your saw doesn't have holes in the base already)
It helps with vibration and with some saws it keeps it from "walking" around your bench.
If you do tilt it (and I have tilted mine) try various angles first. You can put spacer blocks under the back and try it. If it isn't enough, use another thickness or two until it feels good to you.
It does let parts and saw dust fall off the front of the table onto your foot or leg but, that is a small price to pay for being able to see the pattern and feeling comfortable while sawing.
Just my two centavos worth.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 10:15:41 am »
I have my DeWalt 788's back legs on two thicknesses of 2x8 s.  Not clamped or anything.  I guess it is heavy enough .  then on the back of the table, I taped a small square of the stuff that is supposed to be put in tool box drawers etc.  I don't know what it is called but it is rubbery, black and puffy. When leaving the saw I just lay my work on it and it doesn't slide off.
I'm from North Dakota

cameronj

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 10:49:18 am »
I have had my Dewalt  788 tilted up at the back for quite a few years now.  I placed the back on a scrap of 2x4.  I bolted the 2x4 to the table, and then the saw to the 2x4.  I find the fact that it is raised at the back has made cutting much more comfortable and easier.  I think the amount to raise it depends on each person--the height of the work table itself and your height.  So you might have to try various heights.
Jim

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 07:09:53 pm »
I have my DeWalt 788 on the DeWalt stand, and have the rear leg extended as far as it would go, tilting the saw forward.  I use a stool, and found this made scrolling much easier for me.  I could better see the pattern and blade, and it was more comfortable to use for extended times.
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

marmoh

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 07:33:39 pm »
Judy, thank goodness I know what goes in a tool box or I would really be wondering what you were talking about..( can't stop laughing )  ::) ::) ::)

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 08:04:37 pm »
"I don't know what it is called but it is rubbery, black and puffy."

LMAO  :o  :o  :o
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 09:33:39 pm »
I was thinking more in terms of an 'over-roasted marshmallow' but that would be kind of sticky!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 01:38:05 am »
Not sure why you would want to tilt your saw some say it helps to see the lines on the patterns, for this I just move my light so I can see cant see any other advantage
Jimbo

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 10:08:48 am »
Not sure why you would want to tilt your saw some say it helps to see the lines on the patterns, for this I just move my light so I can see cant see any other advantage
Jimbo

In my case, it helps to look more stright down on the pattern instead of from the side angle. I can follow the line a bit easier and see where the blade is cutting as I go. I use a light too but, the tilted table also is kind of self cleaning as you cut....If you dont mind a lap full of saw dust.  ;D

Rog

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 12:10:13 pm »
Hey R.R.  Steve lead me on to what I rigged up now to catch most all the saw dust falling off the front and thru the lil slot.  Started with a cardboard box then onto a plastic holder.  Mounted it directly below the front of the saw.  Bingo....  No mo sawdust in my lap or legs or feet.  Yea!  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline bettyswood

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 03:57:56 pm »
Jimbo, try tilting the table, I thought I wouldn't like it either but I love, love, love it.  Saves me neck and back pain - good luck!!

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 10:03:41 pm »
Hey R.R.  Steve lead me on to what I rigged up now to catch most all the saw dust falling off the front and thru the lil slot.  Started with a cardboard box then onto a plastic holder.  Mounted it directly below the front of the saw.  Bingo....  No mo sawdust in my lap or legs or feet.  Yea!  Danny  :+}
Hey Danny, I like the dusty knees look! ::)
Dan In Southern California

SMF

Teknoromi