Author Topic: Making a world globe  (Read 4399 times)

malc

Making a world globe
« on: January 16, 2011, 11:12:34 am »
I am looking at ways to make a world globe about 12 -18 inches diameter and am racking my brains how to make the sphere. i would like a hollow one if possible and don't have a lathe so am looking at scrolling one. The land masses are no problem as I will scroll them from very thin ply 1/32 or 1/64. But the sphere has me scratching my head, any ideas. P.S. thanks to everyone who showed interest in my wooden clock.
Malc :)

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
Re: Making a world globe
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 12:03:45 pm »
The first thing I thought of was "geodesic domes". I googled it and came up with some info on them....too much to go into here but, I'm sure you could get some ideas and help by doing that.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

tux_linux

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 12:57:05 pm »
check this one:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Moresque-lampe/

might be a system you can use. Dark wood for the water, brighter wood for land?

regards
Torsten

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 01:40:11 pm »
Malc,  A couple of years ago, there was a puzzle maker on the cover of one of the scrollsaw magazines.  I don't remember if it was Scrollsaw or Creative woodworks and crafts.  He had a picture of a round wooden jigsaw puzzle.  I will try to find that copy and get his name etc.

boxmaker

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 06:14:31 pm »
Like Julief said, I remember seeing one somewhere, but I can't remember where, I did find this link on a globe puzzle, it may give you a better idea how they are done. It is a puzzle for sale.

http://www.bitsandpieces.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_45555

Mark

cherie

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 06:20:54 pm »
It was the Scroll Saw magazine.  Not CCWC.  I have the issue somewhere cause I thought it was inteersting.

HWPlmbr1

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 06:57:34 pm »
Wooden Clock?  :o what wooden clock? you did a wooden clock?!  ::) Did I miss something?  :D

You mean that thing you did that had 5 PAGES of comments and all of us ooohhing and aaahhing. Clapping, cheering, and drewling, in awe and wonderment.  8)

You mean that little ol thing that went tic-tock? Yep, I guess I did see it a couple of times...okay a lot!  ;D

He had his time people, now he wants the world!

That's what I like about scrollers. We start small then get big ambitions!

You go Malc! You got the time to be world dominator!  :)

But...time is ticking!!!  ;D

grampa

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 07:21:48 pm »
Why not use the same method as making a bowl tilt your saw at the desired angle ! and cut the rings, then just glue the 2 bowls together.......Paul ;D

cherie

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 08:16:51 pm »
Harold, you just confused me.  I thought this thread was about the wooden puzzle globe?   :-*

Offline Barry

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 11:56:21 pm »
It was on the cover of SSW&C Issue 31 (Summer 2008).  Tom Stewart was the Grand Prize Winner 2007 with his "Art Ball Puzzle".  It is impressive and the article says that he used a router in a "machine" of his on creation to carve the outside and inside curves.

I just ordered and received the back issue assortment from SSW&C, this was one of the back issues.  I have spent the last few days going through the magazines and coming up with ideas on things to do.  They list an email address www.artspacelima.com for info.  The address is to an art display, of which the ball is a part, so I don't know if the address is still good.

Barry

malc

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 03:18:19 am »
Harold, you just confused me.  I thought this thread was about the wooden puzzle globe?   :-*
No I want to make a desk standing world globe just to look at. Used to have a two inch one with a hole in it to sharpen my pencils!!!
Malc

malc

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 03:22:11 am »
Why not use the same method as making a bowl tilt your saw at the desired angle ! and cut the rings, then just glue the 2 bowls together.......Paul ;D
Yes Paul, I think that will be the best way. I need to read up on bowl making. Not sure how to smooth the sphere without a lathe and how thick to cut the rings.
Malc

tux_linux

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 05:12:27 am »
you can also bend thin plywood. or use veneer in multiple layers, glued to the form you need. How about an inner frame? You could leave the sea out and make it "see-through"...

lots of space for ideas.

@ HWPlmbr1
...at least he still needs a predefined plan for this  ;D

regards
Torsten

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 07:32:13 am »
OK, Malc.  The double bowl idea is probably going to be your best bet.  To round and sand it, use an inflatable sander for the inside and I would chuck the rest in my drillpress and use turners sandpaper strips to make the outside prefectly round.  The bowl is cut in consecutive rings and glued up.  There is a perfect example of this in a book by Carole Rothman called Wooden Bowls for the Scroll Saw. (page 113)

Wildthang

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 12:16:07 pm »
Pipe fitters have a method of making end caps called the "orange peel ", after you lay it out on wood, you would have to steam the wood to make it pliable enough the bend. But this may work.

SMF

Teknoromi