Author Topic: Very sad news in the scrolling community  (Read 5337 times)

CharlesDearing

Very sad news in the scrolling community
« on: July 17, 2014, 10:52:39 pm »

It's with a heavy heart that I tell you scrolling designer Dirk Boelman has passed away. I never met him was most definitely a fan of his work.. Versatile, elegant, detailed, yet possible to do. Cannot be replaced. My sincerest and deepest condolences to his wife, loved ones and friends. From his wife: "It is with a sad heart that I must be the bearer of very bad news. My husband and best friend to me - and many others out there in the scrolling community - Dirk Boelman passed away last night. No sickness or suffering lead up to it. He died of a massive heart attack about 8 pm on July 16. We were enjoying a lovely evening with good friends to celebrate our anniversaries and my birthday. Sharing food fun and laughter when he just collapsed. Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers."

Karen Boelman
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 11:26:33 pm by CharlesDearing »

Spartan scroller

Re: Very sad news in the scrolling community
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 09:14:57 am »
I met Dirk a few years ago at a show in Taylor, Michigan.  He had a massive display of his scroll saw work and a giant clock that he had made.  We talked for a little while about scrolling.  I told him how much I enjoyed his patterns.  I am very glad I got a chance to do that.  I am shocked and very sad to hear this news.  He will be missed by all of us, I am sure.

Terry
terrysscrollshoppe.com
facebook.com/Terry's Scroll Shoppe

pddesertrat

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 09:32:15 am »
Did not know the gentleman but sad to hear about his passing.  At least he went I hope I do when the time my time comes. 

Offline Scroll42

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 10:19:28 am »
So sorry to hear.  Was a great designer, teacher, and good human being.  He will be missed.  Blessings to his wife.
John

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 12:47:18 pm »
I was a personal friend to Dirk and my heart is breaking over his passing. He was a mentor to me and I met he and his wonderful wife Karen when I was just starting out making patterns.  He shared freely with me and befriended me and I only hoped that one day I could have one tenth his talent, kindness and compassion towards others. He has given so much to our little scroll saw community and also to other very worthy causes. I feel very privileged to have known him. 

:(  Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 05:17:08 pm »
R.I.P Dirk

***Merlin***
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Yoda "Empire Strikes Back" 1980

Offline mainberg

• Better than drivers' license pix
    • View Profile
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 12:24:33 pm »
Very sad news. Met Dirk and Karen at numerous scroll saw events. Wonderful people. As others have said, he will be missed by his family, and the scrolling community.
Pat B

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 02:32:19 am »
A sad time for the scrolling community.  We have all at one time or another cut one of Dirks patterns.  I for one have a couple of his books, in fact the first thing I ever scrolled was one of Dirks patterns, still have it on my fridge.   R.I.P Dirk

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 12:40:59 pm »
Sad news but what a wonderful way to leave this world.
I'm from North Dakota

scrimper

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 05:01:03 pm »
Very sad news. Obviously living in England i never met him but back in 1990 I wrote to him after reading about his fretwork in a book or magazine, (this was in the days before the internet and email) I never expected a reply but he sent me a very nice letter (which I still have, dated 11/9/90) and his catalogue of fretwork designs. I even still have the envelope he sent it in (marked Reidle products) I was so impressed because he sent it via airmail at his own expense which cost him quite a bit at the time.

I imagine he was a really decent bloke and this is a great loss to many people, must be tragic for his wife. 

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 12:37:15 pm »
Sorry to hear that he has pass away. very sad

We all have to go sometime. 

heaven is for real that is a cool movie go and get your copy. 

SPIDERMAN THE KING OF THE WEB

Blue Peeps

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 04:57:35 pm »
(this was in the days before the internet and email)

I miss those days...  :(

SMF

Teknoromi