Author Topic: Spiral Blades  (Read 1540 times)

Offline newtoscroll

• View Profile
Spiral Blades
« on: July 06, 2010, 11:39:05 am »
I want to try and cut out portraits on baltic birch and want to try spiral blades.  What is the best selection to get or am I better using regular blades.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: Spiral Blades
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 11:41:17 am »
Contact Mike!
http://www.mikesworkshop.com/index.htm

He's da MAN!!!

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Dragonlord85

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 11:47:15 am »
I never liked spirals because of how hard they are to control. i broke down and baught some of the new spirals from Mike and I love them. I prefer the spirals over straight blades now.

jon

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 07:53:52 pm »
if this portrait is something you want to display or show off i would not use spiral blades just for the fact that you are a "rookie" with these blades. your best bet is to use the regular blades until you get used to the spiral blades they are hard to controle at first. but once you get used to them you wont want to use anything else. i use spiral blades regularly and do most of my cutting with them i love them.

UHMNL

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 07:58:40 pm »
Jon,
I have to disagree with you. The new spiral blades are used for potraits. They are very easy to control. 
I agree that all other spirals are hard to control.
However not for some of my customers who have used them for a long time and know how to work with them.
FD Mike

Charlie Dearing

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 08:02:54 pm »
I started out using spiral blades.  One may be easier than the other but it isn't a no-no for beginners.  I was a beginner and have never have used flat blades.  Like anything, you just have to get used to the spirals of any kind.

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 08:18:31 pm »
I'm with Charlie.  I started and have stayed with spiral blades.
I'm from North Dakota

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 08:25:37 pm »
I'm just starting to get the hang of using spirals. But for me their just another tool to use in my scrolling.
Dan In Southern California

Offline campasano

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 09:44:20 pm »
I have just started to use spiral blades and find them very easy to control, I'm sorry I didn't use them sooner. They cut easily and work good on thick wood. I do not use them on 1/4" or thinner wood because of the tear out and fussy bottom of my cut items.

Mike
Do your part - go green - save the earth

SMF

Teknoromi