Author Topic: relief cut  (Read 1802 times)

cathodge

relief cut
« on: July 06, 2010, 09:15:39 am »
There is a new pattern on this site, the party tray, I really like it. Would like to try it but not sure about the relief cut or the tray part that holds the food.  Can someone explain more about how this is done?  Thank you

Dragonlord85

Re: relief cut
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 10:00:04 am »
To do a relief cut you would set your table to about 2 degrees before making the cut. This allows the piece inside to slide back some withoiut falling out thus making the lip of the tray. I would suggest making some practice cuts on wood of the same thickness as the piece you are working on to get the right amount of table tilt before making the final cut on your workpiece. Steve has a good video on this on his blog. It is where he is making a gauge for relief cuts.

Dawie

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 10:54:49 am »
Dragonlord you took the words right out of my mouth. I was about to say the same.
David

Offline towdude3

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 02:14:16 pm »
i cut this tray out of poplar and used 3 degrees. It worked better for me. It is very easy to cut and looks nice. I tried to post a picture but I could not seem to resize it the right way (too big). I will try again to post it. Mike

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 05:24:45 pm »
I am currently cutting 18 of that pattern. I'm using 3/4" red oak and should have used a thicker blade or changed the angle to a little less than 2 degrees.
It will work out OK after I sand the edges a little  think.
As usual, I changed the pattern some. I eliminated the branches. Made the glass hole a little larger and without the slot but put a bottom in the round hole too, and enlarged the snack part of it also.
It is the samething only different.  ;D

Rog

An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline towdude3

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 12:48:48 am »
roger, waiting to see yours. i planed the poplar down to 1/2 so the tray would not be too heavy to carry around. I am going to change the design also for a specific request. Mike

SMF

Teknoromi