Author Topic: Anybody as chaotic as me??  (Read 3151 times)

Dawie

Anybody as chaotic as me??
« on: July 05, 2010, 07:59:11 am »
Hi everybody,
Was making an atempt to tidy my workshop this morning. Pulled out a container from under the table and went "O yes my unfinished pieces" and out came a smaller container with the same. I have pieces in there of nearly a year ago,I either got bored making them as I had already made several or they were to difficult. Or just saw something else I fancied to make and left the other for later. So I opened up the containers and got a shock there were total of about 50-60 things that needed finishing off. Some only needing sanding and finishing, others just some paint or something. While others needed to be started still only the pattern on the wood. So I have now piled them right on to my workbench and promised myself to finish them and not to hide them again. Anybody out there recognize this?
David

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
Re: Anybody as chaotic as me??
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 08:07:53 am »
You got one of those too???  I just did some reorganizing myself here and it sounds like exactly the same box!  Sometimes I stack cut small things like ornaments "just because" and then never finish them.  Sometimes I get tired of them like you said.  Pretty much the same MO as you!  I keep vowing to get them done and I wouldn't have to do any Christmas shopping at all!  Some do actually get finished, but some are destined to be 'antique' gifts!  I am very happy that I have company! :) Thanks for making me smile!

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

sp_343

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 10:45:02 am »
I thought I was the only one!  I get all ready to start a pattern/plan...get working on it...then the next day I find something else that gets my interest...then the next day I find something else that gets my interest....then the next day I find something else that gets my interest....

I sometimes do finish what I started...but I do a have a few half done items... :D :D

cherie

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 11:21:12 am »
David, well I guess you see that you are not the only one.  Not only have I done this with wood piece's, but I have maybe 4 afghans that I have started to crochet, but ran out of yarn to finish the projects.  LOL.  I guess I had better buy some yarn instead of wood, huh.

Offline pieter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 11:56:34 am »
Hi David, the third drawer of my work bench is the recipient of projects that need a finishing touch.  Lots of stack cut Chirstmas items, some grandson puzzles, and lots of "hey that looks like fun to do" projects.  I do eventually get to them - tomorrow.

Pieter

Dragonlord85

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 12:08:11 pm »
you know they say tomorrow never gets here and yesterday never was.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 12:15:49 pm »
And...Today is the Tomorrow we were so worried about Yesterday!
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 12:31:44 pm »
Ya know, I must be the only one that doesn't do that!!!
When I start something, I just can't quit untill it is either done or it's junk!!!
I haven't been doing alot of scrolling lately but, I've got an idea in my head right now and as soon as I get some wood, I will be cutting untill it is done. It involves several items alike and they will be Christmas gifts. About 36 pieces all together.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Dawie

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 01:13:16 pm »
Good for you Rog!! Worked on my unfinished pieces today, is going well as a lot of them are stackcutting left from last christmas. Needed to drill a lot of little holes though today, there is still a fair bit more to cut and then comes the sanding and finishing.
I am so glad I am not alone in doing what I do and Pieter tomorrow came around here today but might leave again as soon as my attention gets drawn to something else, sp will know just what I mean.
David

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 01:18:28 pm »
I am really ticked at you people!

All this talk of chaos and I got embarrassed with the way the whole place looks so I started with the basement work bench...cleaned and straightened.
Now heading up to the garage work area and have the incentive to tear into it and re-organize and re-arrange!

I WAS planning to go to the pool this afternoon and just kick back after the whole day of smokin' meats yesterday.

Now I'm up to my A** in stuff to be pitched, re-cycled and re-arranged so I know where the holy hell everything is!

Then I guess I will have to attack the DESK! God FORBID!!!!

THANKS GUYS ! ! ! !
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

northie66

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 02:59:58 pm »
I'm not chaotic. I either finish it or pitch it. Unfinished business drives me crazy.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 03:23:01 pm »
I guess I must be the odd one too. I have no unfinished projects. Like Janet, I finish it or throw it out if it is too bad to fix.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

cornishpisky

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 04:11:07 pm »
I have plenty of unfinished projects, most have all the cutting done just need finishing, they are my rainy day projects for when i'm not feeling too good or just dont fancy spending time in the garage, as long as they've been sanded i can sit in the house and finish them with paint, oil or varnish, keeps me occupied, and the smell gives my wife something to complain about!

Ian

BigE

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010, 04:39:25 pm »
You guys are funny. I take any scrapped item, or excess that can't possibly be used for something else, and donate it to the fire gods. If it survives I always vow to keep it. Fire gods 100, scrap 0.  :D
BigE

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2010, 06:26:15 pm »
I usually have a lot of unfinished lathe work as I do a lot of piece work to save time, but they are normally finished quicky as if they are left they get knocked around and have to be repaired, on the other hand I do have bags of blanks I cut while bench saw is out and put to one side, and then months later I find them and can not remember what they are for, I am now trying to get into the habit of marking them for what they are
Jimbo

SMF

Teknoromi