Author Topic: virus  (Read 1692 times)

pappawdude

virus
« on: September 07, 2013, 12:48:24 pm »
everytime I try to open apattern or a pic I get a message that says contain virus
and was deleted. only happens here, Any suggestions what to do? Its not any one person

Offline Al W

• View Profile
Re: virus
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 03:21:08 pm »
I think it can be safely said there are no virus contaminates at this web site.  That being said, I would suggest running whatever anti-virus program you use on your computer, maybe even running a check for malware.

I run these type of programs about once a week and I have not had any problems.

Just a suggestion and my opinion.

Al
Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

Becky

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 11:23:07 pm »
I am getting the same thing - and I run anti-virus software scans DAILY.  This is new as of today for me.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 08:13:47 am »
I have opened, downloaded, viewed and scanned about twenty pictures from posts and have not found any form of virus etc. It has to be something on your end (Becky, pappawdude)  causing the problem. Maybe your virus program settings or browser. Sorry I can't be of more help.
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

pappawdude

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 09:08:57 pm »
Thanks I will see what I can find out

Becky

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 08:51:12 pm »
Solved this.  Lose Internet Explorer.  There is probably some setting you can change but I have no idea what it is.  I have downloaded Firefox and can now see all the pics with no problem.

Becky

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 11:56:10 pm »
One day later, I will add that switching to Firefox has not been seamless.  If it doesn't know a website, it will give you a pretty alarming notice to that effect.  And I had to download a plug in for flash player that I thought didn't work until I shut Firefox completely down and restarted it.  The little notices like "do you want to download this file" and such are not where I expect them to be after years of IE but I expect to adjust to that.  One especially good thing is that hitting the back button on IE used to often take me to nowhere (if you look it said google leads or something like that most of the time or something that started with "ad" that couldn't be a good thing).  I am not having that occur at all so far and that alone makes me very happy.  I had resisted going to another browser simply because of my familiarity with IE but I have to say I am overall happy that I did this.

BTW, I have automatic updates OK'd for my windows PC (I want the security patches and such).  It downloaded and installed the IE 10 which is where I thing my problems began.  When I tried to download Firefox it also detected that as a virus and wouldn't download it.  Fortunately I had an alternate browser available (Chrome) that let me get Firefox.  The reason I went with Firefox is because that is what an IT guy from work recommended.

Anyway, do what you want but this has worked for me.

pappawdude

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 07:22:11 pm »
got it working so far, did windows updates cross my fingers and will see

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2013, 07:42:09 am »
I'm using F-secure virus protection and didn't have any problems with viruses.
using both Google Chrome and IExplorer.
what virus scanner do you use, you and Becky use the same?
Did you have your definition files updated daily?

good luck!
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Becky

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 08:44:03 pm »
I use AVG anti-virus software.  It runs a daily scan.  I did a secondary scan after finding I had the same problem and it still didn't find anything.  Many people over the years (and especially over the past year or so) have told me I needed to get rid of Internet Explorer.  But, you know, I know where everything is and how to use it so I was "comfortable" and not really inspired to make the change.  BUT, I do have my (Windows) computer set up for automatic updates and discovered I was running IE 10.  I can't say that it was the definitive cause of the problems I had but to not be able to see pictures here was just so far outside of acceptable I downloaded Firefox.  Problem solved.  There are still a few mysteries about the new browser (old dog, new tricks and all that) but it was worth it.

SMF

Teknoromi