Author Topic: The baskets from Colombia  (Read 1336 times)

Offline troy_curtis

• No matter where you go...there you are.
    • View Profile
The baskets from Colombia
« on: February 02, 2013, 01:53:04 pm »
Steve posted a video of the man from Colombia, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggiZLLzdPRA&feature=share&list=LLJ9ULbkM5aamGVxVV8JdtOg This video is worth watching. It is only 6 min long. He is free cutting this basket. It has no real sound other than the saw cutting. I would love to get more details on this. What angle he cuts with. I love the concept behind this art work.

old wormy

Re: The baskets from Colombia
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 03:30:11 pm »
Look for collapsable basket patterns and they will explain the angle of cut.

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 05:57:25 pm »
Troy, check your email.
Keith.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 06:00:08 pm »
The angle of the cut depends a lot on the thickness of the wood and what depth you want to cut and the blade you are using. It is somewhat like cutting the rings for a bowl or vase. About the only way to find the exact angle is to do a few practice cuts on scrap. Once you have found the angle that works for you, write it down  and be sure to include the thickness of the wood (3/4"). the blade used (FD #5)  and maybe even the type of wood (oak) for future use.
Some times if I want a large, shallow bowl out of 3/4" cherry, I use as much as 45 degrees and a much wider spacing between cuts. On the other hand, if I want a tall vase out of 3/4" cherry, I use a much shallower angle  like 20 degrees and can use narrower spacing between cuts.
This project, the spiral cutting, takes more guessing (especially doing it freehand)  so I suggest a practice cut or two using the same thickness of wood and getting used to keeping the same distance between cuts as you go.
What this all boils down to is........ IT AIN'T AS EASY AS IT LOOKS!  :D :D :D :D

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline troy_curtis

• No matter where you go...there you are.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 07:23:20 pm »
But....but....he makes it look easy. Didn't you see how fast and easy he cut that? LOL, I know it wont be easy, but I will try one sometime.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 06:40:27 am »
I cut them often - but I use a pattern.  One of my books has a chart that tells what angle to use by length/width and thickness.  It seems to be pretty accurate because I have enlarged and shrunk many of the patterns and they always seem to come out all right.

SMF

Teknoromi