Author Topic: Vertical Cuts  (Read 1794 times)

wjkennedy1@cox.net

Vertical Cuts
« on: January 18, 2013, 12:23:49 pm »
How is the best way to scrollsaw thicker wood and not get an angle cut.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
Re: Vertical Cuts
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 01:21:04 pm »
Slowly
Jimbo

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 01:24:45 pm »
Hey mort, welcome to the forum! The first thing to consider is that your table is square to the blade. Never rely on the saws bevel gauge. Check it with a small square or the side of a credit card and adjust accordingly. Use a large enough blade to cut the thickness of wood. Make sure you have high tension on the blade. You want to hear a high "ping" when you pluck the blade. Let the blade do the cutting. Don't force it, this will cause the blade to flex and cause the bevel cut.
Try all this and see if it helps!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 02:56:36 pm by dgman »
Dan In Southern California

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 02:37:57 pm »
dg  beat me to it, all good advice he's given there, hopefully it will solve your problem.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 08:43:52 pm »
As dg says, let the blade do the cutting and don't try to get back on the line by pushing sideways on the wood.  It took me a while to learn that I have to turn the wood to get back onto the line, I can't push the wood sideways.  Now, every so often, I stop moving the wood into the blade and almost let go of the wood.  If I've been pushing sideways on the wood, the tension of the blade will move the wood sideways.  Then I know I have been cutting at an angle.

Keep practicing until you can follow a circle pattern and the cutout will come out of the wood upwards or downwards.
Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 12:11:14 am »
DG is the guru of scroll saws and I fully agree with his advice.  I would add to that the fact that thicker wood often calls for higher blade speeds.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline troy_curtis

• No matter where you go...there you are.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 01:52:34 am »
Hey mort, welcome to the forum! The first thing to consider is that your table is square to the blade. Never rely on the saws bevel gauge. Check it with a small square or the side of a credit card and adjust accordingly.

Never thought of the credit card thing...that is a super idea. I did Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University and no longer use credit cards...should have kept one just for this purpose. LOL, well I can use my debit card I guess. Or any business card for that matter. Thanks for the advice.

old wormy

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 09:53:05 am »
I save all those cards received  with junk mail to use in the shop for various things such as glue spreaders.

Offline Al W

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 10:33:46 am »
Finally, a decent use for a credit card  :D :D :D
Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

SMF

Teknoromi