Author Topic: Spray Sanding Sealer  (Read 4400 times)

IBMer

Spray Sanding Sealer
« on: January 08, 2013, 06:09:05 pm »
This stuff seems more rare than Chicken Lips and Frog Hairs...       Does anyone know where to buy this stuff in the spray can?    I'd like to try some on a few projects before applying lacquer, but no one seems to sell it around here in the spray can.    Only the brush-on type.

Any suggestions where to look?  I've tried Walmart, Lowes, and Klingspor Woodworking with no luck...   Woodcraft lists Deft Sanding Sealer on their website, but I've never seen it on their shelf.

John

king310

Re: Spray Sanding Sealer
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 06:52:48 pm »

I bought my minwax sealer at Lowes. I am surprised they did not have it. Do you have a paint store local like a sherwood an william? They should have it.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 07:40:13 pm »
You can use spray shellac as a sealer, but what is it you are trying to do? I use a spray lacquer on all my projects. After the first coat, I sand with a folded piece of brown paper bag, or sometimes I use 0000 steel wool. This acts like a sealer. Another coat and the finish is usually perfect. If not, another sanding and one more coat.
A sanding sealer is used to seal pores in an open grain wood such as Red Oak or Mahogany. These sanding sealers are in paste form so you have to wipe them on and then wipe them off. You can't get that in a spray.
Dan In Southern California

IBMer

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 08:47:40 pm »
I also turn bowls on a lathe.  I'd like to try a sanding sealer and lacquer on a bowl to see how it compares to the friction polish I use today.

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 08:48:43 pm »
I found a can of spray Deft Sanding Seler at the local Lowes. The do not have it all the time but I keep and eye out when I and getting low. I think is sold for aroud $8 a can.
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

IBMer

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 09:05:31 pm »
I'll have to try a different Lowes store.  The one nearest to me never seems to have it.     I've been turning some Spalted wood bowls and was thinking that a sanding sealer may help even out spots that were overly spalted, or soft.   Here's a video clip of me turning a Spalted Maple bowl.  It came out nice with friction polish, but a few spots were quite difficult to smooth out.   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaypQDOSFh0

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 09:30:38 pm »
Ok John, when I turn punky wood, I stableize it with CA glue then hit it with some accelerator. Once it is dry, you can continue turning smooth, then finish Sand.
Dan In Southern California

king310

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 09:41:13 pm »
Deft Lacquer Sanding Sealer Aerosol $5.78 at my local lowes. Make sure you talk with someone who knows what you are talking about. ;D

countryscroller

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 10:01:54 pm »
Count my Lowes as one also. They always are stocked with sprays. I just got Deft to try it out. They also have shellac and other stuff.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 07:36:30 am »
I would be careful using oil based sanding sealer with a Lacquer or Polyurethane finish. Lacquer can react with the sealer causeing a hazing or white appearance. Poly can soften the sealer causing drying problems. Spray Lacquer seals the wood and can be used as a finish as well as spray shellac.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

IBMer

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 04:49:40 pm »
Yes, I would get the one made specifically for Lacquer.

SMF

Teknoromi