Author Topic: good soft wood to cut with  (Read 1289 times)

Offline troy_curtis

• No matter where you go...there you are.
    • View Profile
good soft wood to cut with
« on: January 05, 2013, 03:44:41 pm »
Was wondering what is a good soft wood about 1/2 to 3/4 in thick to cut word art with. Something that is solid wood not ply. I know pine is soft, but was thinking about some other woods. I see samples done by Steve on the patterns page, but not sure what he used for them.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
Re: good soft wood to cut with
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 05:37:17 pm »
Soft woods in general are not good or easy to cut with. They break and crack too easy and the blade wants to follow the grain. About the easiest and cheapest wood to use is poplar and it is available at the big box stores. It is kind of soft but is really a hard wood and I use it for a lot of my wood working including scrolling.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

king310

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 05:43:00 pm »
try some aspen tony. a stepup from bass wood. but that is my opinion. You what they say about that!!! ;D
everyone has one.

Offline troy_curtis

• No matter where you go...there you are.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 05:49:12 pm »
lol I know I can't be the only one with opinions, but I do value the opinions of others on here. I will check on some aspen, but bass might also be what I am looking for. Have to look at bass wood. Thanks

Offline KarlB

• Naples, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 06:08:08 pm »
Troy you might consider alder as well.  While it is a hardwood I find it cuts real easy.

Karl

king310

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 06:08:45 pm »
aspen has very little grain like bass and balsa wood. To me it doesn't even make good splinters! something I would paint. Clear pine has a good grain for staining or even douglas fir but it is a harder wood.

I forgot you could use OSB but it paints very poorly and doesn't sand very well! ;D ;D
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 06:11:22 pm by king310 »

Offline scotti158

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 06:14:30 pm »
I agree with Rapid Roger, Poplar is a good wood for a lot of different projects, It doesn't take stain very well though but clear coats good.
Tilt-O-Scroll DW788 Owner/Operater

SMF

Teknoromi