Author Topic: Veneering and Marquetry  (Read 9819 times)

countryscroller

Re: Veneering and Marquetry
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2013, 07:46:39 am »
Glad to hear you are giving it a try. I just received my starter kit and DVD's yesterday. Not done yet on the DVD's, but it looks like a challenge. I figure on watching them about 3 times each until I know the steps in even packet cutting and other techniques until I start actually working.  My question is this. There are many ways to clamp the glue ups. You could use a vacuum press or other clamping methods. What do you find easiest? I don't have a vacuum press by the way.

Becky

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2013, 08:54:42 pm »
Heehee - you mean with all my vast experience?  I have tried the glue up all of once so far.  Just last night.  My piece is a smally 4" x 4" thing with a so-so leaf.  I cut a piece of scrap poplar to slightly larger than 4" square.  I put a piece of waxed paper on that followed by my leaf (right side down).  Then I put glue on a 4" x 4" piece of 1/4" plywood and then put that on top of the veneer (glue side down).  Then I just squashed as many clamps on it as I could.  I have seen and read more than once that you don't want to put the glue on the veneer itself, just on the plywood.

Actually, I did that twice.  From what I have read and seen on the DVDs I got, you need to start by putting another piece of veneer on the back of the plywood first to keep it from warping when you add the front veneer.  I have no idea how important that is but I didn't want to skip any steps.  And I did see that mentioned more than once too so it seemed best to just do it that way. 

As best as I can tell, it glued up just fine.  It appears to be secure everywhere.  Tonight I cut strips of veneer to glue on the four sides.  When that has dried, I'll have a go at sanding it.  I think after that, I will just rub on some danish oil and maybe add a couple of coats of lacquer.

This leaf isn't really worth the effort but I want to try going through the whole process with something I don't really care if I ruin somewhere along the way.  That way I hope to avoid any surprises when I actually produce something I want to keep.

countryscroller

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 06:31:48 am »
Glad to hear it is working out for you. Were you using the scroll saw or just knife? I would like to see it when it is completely done. Thanks for the feedback.

Becky

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2013, 10:39:30 pm »
Here it is in all its glory, lol.  Nothing too fancy, just cherry inside maple.  But I think not too bad for my first week.

You about ready to give yours a go?

Becky

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2013, 10:40:38 pm »
Sorry, I didn't answer your question.  It was all done with the x-acto knife except, of course, for the plywood underneath.

countryscroller

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2013, 11:48:52 pm »
Hey that looks great to me! If you plan on just using knife, the DVD I got that Paul Schurch teaches, he uses a "scalpel" and the difference is the blade is stronger and lasts longer that xacto. But great work. I plan on giving mine a go soon. There was patterns that came with the kit, but I am going to do something like you did first to get the hang of the process. I'm going to use my scroll saw and experience with the whole process of packet cutting and everything. Keep up the great work and I will be sure to post my experience as I go.

Becky

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2013, 09:30:05 pm »
Thanks for the tip.  When I have a better idea of how well this is all going, I may look into it.  I've been working on a turtle.  It has a LOT of pieces.  I had a couple of insights over the weekend on technique and things have been going better - not perfectly but better - ever since.  It can still take up to 3 or 4 tries before I get a piece to fit right but that is becoming the exception more than the rule.  Almost half the time now I even get it on the first try.  So I am learning.  AND it is becomming more like fun.   :)

I will post the turtle when it is done but it won't get done until it warms up a little so I can cut a piece of plywood for it.  It's supposed to warm up a little as the week goes on so that might not be a problem.

Becky

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2013, 06:29:42 pm »
I continue my practice.  I think I am starting to figure this out at least a little bit.  There are a lot of differnet techniques out there for even little things like gluing the cut out pieces into the background.  I'm pretty much trying everything and figuring out what works best for me.  Anyway, I finished my second little project (you're getting behind, Dustin!).  Pretty happy with it especially since I learned so much doing it.

rob roy

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2013, 06:40:49 pm »
Hi Becky, you've done an excellent job on that turtle. Very professional keep it up.
Rob Roy

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2013, 06:45:59 pm »
Wow Becky, I'm  impressed!
Dan In Southern California

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2013, 06:47:15 pm »
Excellent work Becky.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

countryscroller

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2013, 06:49:47 pm »
That is great work! I have yet to turn out a project yet. Hoping to make one this week though. Glad for your success at this.

Becky

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2013, 11:24:00 pm »
Thanks everyone.  With better success, this just keeps getting more fun. Still a challenge but rewarding.

Wow, I can't believe I impressed Dan!  You're one of the main go-to guys on this forum because of your expertise in, well, just about everything.  If you're impressed, I am switching from "pretty happy" to ouright proud of it!   :)  (that is a happy smiley, not a winking/kidding smiley)

Hey Dustin, one thing I want to share with you.  I just learned this (after the turtle).  Veneer has a front side and a back side.  Obviously, I knew it had two sides (lol) but I didn't know there was a difference.  The front side is the smoother one.  If you have a fairly large sheet and hold it at one side with the grain going crosswise, it will droop a lot more if the front side is on top.  All of my pieces are pretty narrow so that trick doesn't work for me but that's what the book said.

The front side will take finish better.  Perhaps more importantly, the grain changes from front side to back side so if you mix and match your pieces, they will look different in the finished piece.  Some of the pieces in my turtle look darker and others look lighter.  I suspect I didn't always cut from the same side of the veneer.

I've got another project nearly done (just needs the strips on the edges, sanding and finishing) and I didn't know about the front and back business before that one either so I'll just have to see how it comes out.  I hope to have it done later this week.

Anyway, the front and back business is something you probably want to be aware of when you're building your packets for the scroll saw.

countryscroller

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2013, 09:47:55 am »
Ok thank you very much for the tip. Your projects have all turned out great so far. I will keep you posted on my experience.

countryscroller

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2013, 08:23:08 pm »
Here is my first go at it. It isn't finished, just sitting inside the backer. I used my scroll saw to make it. The steps for going the scroll saw route are a little tricky, but with some more practice, I hope to be producing some better stuff.

SMF

Teknoromi