Author Topic: Helping my Uncle  (Read 1685 times)

Offline troy_curtis

• No matter where you go...there you are.
    • View Profile
Helping my Uncle
« on: August 27, 2012, 11:44:57 pm »
My Uncle David was a construction person all his life. He has a full shop of tools at home, all of them well used. Lately he has been watching to see what new item I am making on my saw. For him tools have always been used to make useful things like houses and cabinets. Now, he is retired with the early onset of dementia, he asked me yesterday if I would work with him to teach him how to make things on a scroll saw. His mind is still pretty good and it is exciting seeing him want to take interest to use his tool for something creative other than basic construction. I look forward to the time spent working with him.

Offline TheMelster

• View Profile
Re: Helping my Uncle
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 11:55:58 pm »
That is super. Bet you BOTH learn something from each other in the months ahead.... keep us posted!
GO PACK GO

SheGold

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 04:14:52 am »
Spend time learning from each other. Him trying to learn may help with the dementia. I've always heard use it or lose it.. Enjoy each other in the time you have... Sheila

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 06:00:18 am »
Keeping his mind active is the best medicine for dementia, and if he learns to scroll and make nice things too - well thats a bonus too
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline Al W

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 08:39:28 am »
Spend time learning from each other. Him trying to learn may help with the dementia. I've always heard use it or lose it.. Enjoy each other in the time you have... Sheila

Absolutely WELL PUT Sheila!!    Enjoy the time you have remaining - I will NEVER regret the time I spent with a couple of my relatives ere their departure - we all learned and enjoyed. 
Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

Offline mickey357

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 10:23:08 am »
Your never to old to learn.

SMF

Teknoromi