Author Topic: Steve Goods email on finishes.  (Read 1049 times)

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
Steve Goods email on finishes.
« on: April 16, 2016, 12:30:26 pm »
I was very happy to see Steve Goods email this morning.
He covers a subject and offers an answer to a question that is often asked here in the forums.
"What finish is food safe?"
I have tried to answer this question several times but, let's face it I am not a scientist or carry any weight for people to trust me...And rightfully so.
All finishes sold in the US are food safe once cured. And I would bet that even if that were not so, I don't think anyone child or adult could ingest enough from chewing on a wooden item to do any serious harm to them. My gosh people have been drinking lead tainted water form their faucets for years!
It is just another case of someone somewhere started a scare tactic and it grew all out of proportion and instilled fear in people.
When I was a child in the '40s I slept in a baby bed that was more than likely painted with lead paint and I more than likely chewed on the top rail of that bed just like everyone else did. Most of us lived through that era for several years afterword and seem to be fairly OK.
I think the final answer to the question is SHELLAC. They use shellac to coat candy and medicine pills for gosh sakes!
Now on to the real problem....
FAST FOOD OF ALL KINDS!  lol
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

SMF

Teknoromi