Author Topic: Peeling off a glued pattern  (Read 3545 times)

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
Peeling off a glued pattern
« on: December 21, 2012, 11:20:14 pm »
I read some where that somebody does this so I tried it tonight and it works alot better.

Put down the blue painters tape on the wood first, then glue the pattern to the tape, then the clear packing tape on top of the patterns. When I got done cutting the pattern and blue painter tape peeled right off, worked PERFECT! One thing I noticed though when cutting is the blue tape tends to ball up on top, could be being its a little thicker and the sticky stuff or could have been was first time cutting with BBP I got a piece from Micheal's craft store but either way its alot better in my book. I always either don't spray enough or too much adhesive and it sticks too good or not enough in spots. Then have to use a razor blade to peel of the pattern. I love the painters tape better.

I also found I liked having the clear packing tape on top for one, it makes holding the piece easier, gives me some grip, and keeps the pattern from smearing on my hands from rotating it around the table.

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
Re: Peeling off a glued pattern
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 07:28:30 am »
i think most if not all of us painters tape first.there as been dozens of posts on here for this method.

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 09:45:41 am »
I only use the blue tape on stack cutting. Otherwise, I use spray adhesive to attach the pattern to the wood and to remove I lightly spray the pattern with paint thinner and let it set for a few seconds and it can easily be removed. I then wipe the wood with a rag wet with the thinner to remove any remaining glue, and then let it dry before finishing.

Tony,aka,Toneman

Offline chelcass

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 10:21:49 am »
I also use spray glue and glue the pattern right to the wood.  When done cutting I simpily pop the ornament into the microwave and warm up the wood and the pattern peals right off.  I then use a bit of mineral spirits to wipe off any residue.
ChelCass

Offline Al W

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 09:01:35 am »
I also use spray glue and glue the pattern right to the wood.  When done cutting I simpily pop the ornament into the microwave and warm up the wood and the pattern peals right off.  I then use a bit of mineral spirits to wipe off any residue.

About how long do you nuke the wood?  Understanding it will partially be determined by the size.
Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

countryscroller

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 09:56:12 am »
I use masking tape, same concept as the blue painters tape.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 05:14:55 pm »
Using plain old Masking Tape may be problematic...It will tend to 'stick tighter' and may leave a heavier residue.
Painters Tape is made to be easily removable. However, any adhesive will leave more residue and be harder to remove if left on too long!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline chelcass

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 05:24:05 pm »
I usually nuke it for about 5 or 6 seconds (I have a 700 watt) just until the pattern peels easily.  You can always put it back in the microwave if necessary.
ChelCass

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 06:08:24 am »
I keep a spray bottle of mineral spirits.  Give the piece a spritz, wait a couple of seconds and it comes right off.

Dave W

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 12:34:47 pm »
I just use temp. spray adhesive, then cover with clear packing tape.  When I am done, a few seconds under the heat gun and the pattern peels right off.  No muss, and no residue. 

ChuckD

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 02:29:58 pm »
I still find what I use I like much better.  Just a thin layer on the top of stack (which I do mostly) such as door skin, even poster board.  I glue the pattern and stick it on NOW.  Then at the first smell of smoke I add the clear tape.  After cutting it out I just discard the top layer.  The use of toothpick and glueing them in the hole holds the stacks together so there is no sawdust between the layers.  This works great for me.  :):):)

Offline crupiea

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 06:17:09 pm »
I dont use blue tape.

I use spray but the trick is to use it very, very sparingly.

I take the sheet that is going to be attached and just barely hit it with the spray from about 16 inches away or so if not farther.

Just one quick pass and thats it, not enough to even look wet.  if it looks wet then it will stick and you will have to sand it off.  If that happens i just let it dry and spray it again in about an hour or so.

SMF

Teknoromi