Author Topic: Air Compressor Opinions  (Read 3202 times)

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
Air Compressor Opinions
« on: November 28, 2013, 12:08:33 pm »
I need to purchase an air compressor for my small woodshop. I have a large one in my barn/shop, but I was thinking about purchasing a small compressor just to blow dust from my scroll pieces after sanding. Right now I am just using a fine soft brush. I realize it would be loud while filling, but, maybe ya'll may have ideas on this and I am very open minded. I even thought about putting it outside on my porch and drilling a hole in the wall to run the hose. Anyway, I do not want to spend money on a piece of crap that will not last, yet, I don't need an expensive one just for blowing dust.

Tony,aka,Toneman

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
Re: Air Compressor Opinions
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 12:39:40 pm »
If possible find an oiled compressor.  The oil free are much much noisier.  I recently gave my 20 gal oil free to my son because I grew tired of the excessive noise.  I replaced it with a 60 gal oiled compressor which is so much quieter.  You may also want to use it with a small gun for spraying finishes on your projects.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline jrpeteo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 12:54:41 pm »
I prefer to vacuum the dust rather than blow into the air I breathe. But my shop is in the house, if you're outside, blow away!
Pete
Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
- Mark Twain

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 01:55:50 pm »
I put my oiled compressor in another building/shed and ran an air line to my workshop.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

grampa sawdust

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 06:23:06 pm »
I have a craftsman oil job now. I had a very old one from my dad he had had for more years than could count but that finally had hole in bottom patched but no hold. Then went to something from Lowe's and it lasted a while but that just plain quit. the craftsman I have had about 2 years and doing well. It do make noise but seems less so than the other two. I put on ear protection warn my wife it will turn on and let it go. When it shuts off I turn it on so it will not turn on when in use. I do mostly scroll saw work and use tto blow the dust off as I go or with turning. I empty the tank at the end of the day of air anyways so if I need more I will turn on then and shut off and use that tank. Usually don't have to refill one tank will do it.  I have been happy with the craftsman

old wormy

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 09:31:55 pm »
I also prefer the vacuum to remove dust instead of just moving it around with a blower to let it settle  somewhere else.

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 03:26:29 pm »
Small compressors 6 gallon or less are Terrible noise makers and very limited to how long it will blow air before it starts recycling.  Terrible.  I personally like the Vacuuming method.  Never gets all the fine dust off, so still will blow it some.  Another 2 cents worth.  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline jscottj

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 05:41:48 pm »
Look into a Rolair or a similar hotdog type compressor. They are used alot for finich carpentry and are light, small and most are quite quiet. The Rolair is used alot around here by contractors and seem to hold up very well when used daily.

Offline Gadois

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 01:49:15 am »
Ray at Seyco has a small vacuum specifically made for a scroll saw.

Gadois
If you can't learn how to do something well, learn how to enjoy doing it poorly.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2013, 08:24:41 pm »
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-horsepower-29-gal-125-cast-iron-vertical-air-compressor-69865.html

I have this one bought it couple months back, replaced my LOUD oil less one, made a difference plus this one holds more air and is more powerful, its till has noise but nothing like that pounding oil less, this takes up the same space my old one did. Check craigslist you might find what I call a belt driven compressor there for a decent price, the oil less are also called direct drive compressors.

Offline paul44224

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, 07:45:00 am »
Harbor Freight also has their airbrush compressors on sale. One is $65, and the other is $85, but includes an airbrush . Very quiet, and you can use the airbrush to blow the dust off, or apply a finish. Has a moisture filter built on. You can also use a 20% off coupon to save a few more bucks. It is really quiet. Just a suggestion that works for me really well.

Paul

ClayJ

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2013, 10:05:45 am »
I have a small blower that I use for computers.  I hadn't thought about using it in the shop, but maybe I will now.  It's very powerful and compact.

http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-ED500-500-Watt-Electric/dp/B001J4ZOAW/ref=sr_1_1

SMF

Teknoromi