Author Topic: General Opportunity For Us Scrollers  (Read 4488 times)

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
General Opportunity For Us Scrollers
« on: November 08, 2015, 11:59:21 pm »
I had a 2 day show, sorry no pictures as my little camera was broken and i was not going to bring my expensive one out for this.  It was a decent show, this show was hosted by my church. Not the best I have done but not the worst by far and I made some interesting networking connections which as the potential to make up for the mediocre sales.   I was approached by 2 people that had interesting ideas that if properly approached could make someone or a bunch of someones :) a bit of money.  What their idea consisted was this:

My pastor approached me about making Family Name Signs ( Intersecting Word Art ) for the folks getting married at the church.  They offered $25 per for me to make them for this purpose.  What a neat gift from the church.

The second was a real estate broker and he had a similar idea - Family Name Sign for the new owner of the house that was just purchased - also at $25 per sign.  Good public relations between the realtor and the customer.

Just though I would share this with y'all as I seem to me to be something that everyone should be able to take advantage of as there are a lot of churches and realtors out there.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline chelcass

• View Profile
Re: General Opportunity For Us Scrollers
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 11:16:09 am »
What a great idea.  I hope people pick up on this.
ChelCass

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 12:48:14 pm »
Were you thinking a Welcome sign with their names on it or their last name with the first names intersecting?
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 02:47:38 pm »
Were you thinking a Welcome sign with their names on it or their last name with the first names intersecting?

Last name with the first names intersecting.

DW

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 03:58:58 pm »
Great idea, and so nice of you to share it!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 11:14:58 am by BilltheDiver »
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 04:09:42 pm »
Thanks for response and for sharing... :D
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline KarlB

• Naples, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 06:52:54 pm »
DW,

That sounds like a good idea, however the price seems too low.  When I cut out SLD's pattern it took me just under two hours using 1/2" hardwood.  I can't determine the price of the wood as I got it free, but I would put at least 5 - 7 dollars on it.  If I put my time at just 10 per hour then obviously I have no profit.  Since these would be "one of a kinds" then you can't stack cut and you also have the downtime of creating the pattern.

If you were to double the price then I think you would be better off.  These are prestige items that will last a lifetime.

You may not be able in increase your price now, but anyone else might consider their costs.

BTW, I'm not dismissing the idea ( I like it) I'm just throwing out some advise.

Karl

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 07:47:18 pm »
DW,

That sounds like a good idea, however the price seems too low.  When I cut out SLD's pattern it took me just under two hours using 1/2" hardwood.  I can't determine the price of the wood as I got it free, but I would put at least 5 - 7 dollars on it.  If I put my time at just 10 per hour then obviously I have no profit.  Since these would be "one of a kinds" then you can't stack cut and you also have the downtime of creating the pattern.

If you were to double the price then I think you would be better off.  These are prestige items that will last a lifetime.

You may not be able in increase your price now, but anyone else might consider their costs.

BTW, I'm not dismissing the idea ( I like it) I'm just throwing out some advise.

Karl

Not a problem.  I have been using 13"x 4" x 1/4" for the lettering and a 3/8" pine backer.  I realize that for a lot of folks that $25 might be a bit low a price for them.  In my area however which is economically depressed still and that is the price that the area will support easily.  I would think that you might be able to raise the price up to around $40 however that should be up to each person and their situation.  I am not trying to make a living off of doing this however.  The idea however is still valid and should work in a lot of different areas.

DW

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 08:26:37 am »
That sounds like a great idea.  I think your price sounds about right as those are to be given and a higher price might not fit.  If I were younger, I would jump on this idea but am trying to figure out how to stop getting orders.  I did a survivor cross for a lady and another saw it and ordered 2 then decided she needed 23 angels cut.  Showed her some patterns last night so she could choose and another lady ordered 25.  Where were all these people when I was trying to drum up business?

Offline Hawaiilad

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 10:05:51 pm »
I agree those would be really nice gifts. but do seem a bit low priced.  Not counting the time to cut, just the design time would take awhile I would think.  But then I have never designed one.  When I was in Real Estate way back when, I would end up paying about $100 or more for a gift.  DW, how long does it take to design the sign?  You are speaking of the type that has the block style letters with the scrolled letters over them aren't you?

Larry
Hawaii Lad
Larry

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2015, 10:51:15 pm »
I agree those would be really nice gifts. but do seem a bit low priced.  Not counting the time to cut, just the design time would take awhile I would think.  But then I have never designed one.  When I was in Real Estate way back when, I would end up paying about $100 or more for a gift.  DW, how long does it take to design the sign?  You are speaking of the type that has the block style letters with the scrolled letters over them aren't you?

Larry

Larry it takes about an hour ( a relaxed hour )  to make one.  It is not real hard to do.  If I was just going to market to the Realtors in the area then I might consider upping the price I ask, however since in my area there are a lot of folks that like these signs and are not real well off that price I mentioned is what the market here will support here is all.

DW

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2015, 09:03:19 am »
Excuse the question, but what is "Intersecting Word Art"?
Bob Making sawdust in SW Louisiana with a
EX-21

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2015, 11:16:57 am »
Excuse the question, but what is "Intersecting Word Art"?

Intersecting word art is what this - see below  has been named.  Essentially it is a overlapping words done in such a way as to be able to read both.

You can put a lot of information there if you are creative on placement, size of type and size of the project as a whole.  There are several online tutorials such as this one - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrnbS3smA6I

If you go to YouTube and do a search for intersecting word art you should find several the one I listed is the one that I used to learn on.  Hope this answers your questions.

DW

SMF

Teknoromi