Author Topic: Getting glue residue off/Pattern transfer  (Read 2681 times)

samamish1

Getting glue residue off/Pattern transfer
« on: December 14, 2013, 05:02:04 pm »
Hi again community :)  I've been trying all different kinds of pattern transfer, like laser ink with acetone, inkjet with decoupage, and just spray adhesive like Steve suggests in his videos, but I'm having a hard time cleaning it off once it's cut.  Probably the spray adhesive is the easiest, but after I use my heat gun to remove the paper (which comes off pretty easily), there's always this sticky residue that I just can't get off without some pretty serious sanding with an electric palm sander.. and even then, it seems like the glue seeps into the grain.  Any ideas out there?  I just want the simplest, fastest, and cleanest way to attach a pattern to wood, cut it out, and then remove any residue.  Even the laser printer, although easier when cutting, still dirties up the wood when trying to sand it off.  Maybe I'm just using the wrong sanding method?  Any help is appreciated!

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
Re: Getting glue residue off/Pattern transfer
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 07:04:12 pm »
Use mineral spirits on a rag.  I use a spray bottle and spritz the entire work surface, let ti set for a few minutes and the pattern will lift right off in most cases.  I then can use a lint free cloth (old t-shirts) to carefully wipe down the project removing the glue residue.  Any left over residue I just spritz it and wipe it off.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 09:10:18 pm »
Greetings!
Rather than apply the glue directly to the wood, I always put Blue Painter's Tape on the wood and then glue the pattern to the Blue Painter's Tape. Blue tape (it comes in a variety of colors which denote how tacky it will adhere to the surface) seems to be the best because it peels off very easily and does NOT leave the residue that has to be cleaned off of the wood.

It may sound like an added expense but, when you consider the cost of mineral spirits or just the cost of sanding with some form of electric sander, I think you are still money ahead and done in
a matter of seconds.
God Bless! Spirithorse

Offline ajhouck

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 09:57:33 pm »
I use the blue painters tape as well and I'll never look back!

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 08:26:41 am »
I keep a spray bottle of mineral spirits handy.  Just spray and wipe off.  Are you putting your adhesive on the wood or the paper?  It is not necessary to put the adhesive on the wood.

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 09:57:50 am »
i use 8.5"x11" sticky sheets you get at Staples ETC.i put a layer of painters tape down first then a layer of packing tape then the sticky sheet with my pattern in it.most people put clear packing tape on the top but i find with the painters tape that the sticky sheet won't stick to it very well. but it sticks to the packing tape like a magnet.i also use spray glue the same way without the packing in the middle. but always use painters tape first.i know some people put the project in the microwave oven for a few seconds to help remove the pattern that also works i have tried it my other half didn't like me putting the wood and paper in there causing a smell go all through the house.

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 01:19:56 pm »
I use the spray on glue on the paper and put it directly on the wood.
I blow off or vacuum the wood first and spray a good coat of glue on the paper. Let it set for a few minutes before applying to the wood and smooth it out so that it will adhere well and put clear packing tape over the pattern for blade lubrication.
When it is time to remove the pattern, I use a heat gun (in my case an old hair dryer of my wifes) to soften the glue and peel it off. If I have trouble, I use the mineral spirits to clean it up further.

To be honest, a lot of times I just draw on the wood with a pencil and sand it off afterwards.  ;)

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2013, 10:04:39 pm »
I glued my pattern right to the wood once, then found others used blue painters tape I have used it since and works alot better, and is easy to peel off pattern and tape at once and leave nothing behind, I do give a last once over sanding though to clean it up.

samamish1

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2013, 08:21:35 pm »
Oh man, you guys are great, thank you!  I was making things needlessly complicated.  Thanks for the great ideas!  I just tried using my frog painters tape, and it works great!

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2013, 08:42:38 pm »
You can try Paint Thinner as an alternative to Mineral Spirits. It's the same stuff but a little less refined and a lot cheaper. DON'T buy the environmentally friendly mineral spirits - they don't work.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

SMF

Teknoromi