Author Topic: Different Finishes Chat.... :+}  (Read 1464 times)

Offline Danny

• View Profile
Different Finishes Chat.... :+}
« on: July 17, 2015, 03:14:26 pm »
This is about finishes....  I have been mixing 50/50 Boiled Linseed Oil and Mineral Spirits for YEARS

and I really cannot say I know the reason EXCEPT for being CHEAPER in the long run.  And maybe
speeding up the Drying time?  Not sure why?  Think I learned this method from our Dgman (Dan)
a Zillion years back.  LOL 

I just finished giving a TEST.  Might of been around forever, but not for me.  I have always used

DANISH OIL'S....Straight.... Well I gave the MIXTURE method a try and I SURE AM PLEASED.

Guestimation of 60% danish oil with the 40% Spirits,

ANYWAY JUST A COUPLE OF my 13 cents worth..........Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline Dakota Saw Dust

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Different Finishes Chat.... :+}
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 10:33:58 pm »
I've used Danish Oil straight and except for a longer drying time I like the no grain raising. 
Can you compare this method to your mix method. Thanks  Brian

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 10:53:47 am »
I have a mix that I call "Rude and Crude".
It is 1/3 BLO (for grain popping), 1/3 polyurethane (for sealing the pores) and 1/3 mineral spirits (for mixing and faster drying). Then I finish with several coats of straight poly for a smooth and glossy (if that is your thing) surface.
It is NOT the end all finish but, it works for me. I've never used Danish oil so, I have nothing to compare it to.
It never hurts to try different things because you just may discover YOUR favorite fast, easy and best looking finish.

Rog

PS it also never hurts to sand each coat of finish with brown paper bag to knock down the little nubs rising from the grain or dust in the air.
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 11:17:29 am »
I AGREE WITH USING THE BROWN PAPER BAG FOR SANDING BETWEEN APPLYING A SPRAY VARNISH OR LACQUER.
I PREFER THE MINWAX LACQUER. 

MIXING THE DANISH OIL WITH MINERAL SPIRITS WILL TAKE AWAY SOME OF THE STRAIGHT OIL COLOR.
DRYING TIME TO ME IS FAIRLY FAST.  DRY TO TOUCH WITHIN 30 MINUTES.  I ALWAYS DRY EACH FOR A DAY.

THIS MIXING DANISH OIL WITH SPIRITS IS MY FIRST ATTEMPT AT THIS METHOD.  STRAIGHT DANISH OIL
WOULD BE PREFERRED.  EITHER WAY THE GRAIN POPS REAL BEAUTIFUL.

ROGER....  I DID GIVE YOUR MIX A TRY WAY BACK YONDER.  SEEMS I REMEMBER AFTER MIXING A PINT CONTAINER
IT GOT A LIL FILM ON THE TOP AFTER A WHILE.  MAYBE I TRY AGAIN AND ....ONLY MIX AS MUCH AS I MIGHT NEED.

THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR INPUT.  LOVE OUR SCROLL SAW FAMILY.............. Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

SMF

Teknoromi