Author Topic: Strange dewalt happening  (Read 1539 times)

Offline Woodrush

• View Profile
Strange dewalt happening
« on: June 18, 2018, 08:18:04 pm »
My dw788 is about 3 months old  i had to tighten my lamp and realized the bottom bolt is stripped so i tightened the top extra tight an now my head stays up without my piece of wood  i loosened the lamp bolt and it still does it  i have been using the saw but am wondering if there is a problem  when i lft it it locks into place and there is very little resistance to put it back down  right now it works like the delta.

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
Re: Strange dewalt happening
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 08:05:59 am »
The hinge bolt that you are working with is the pivot for the arm.  By tightening the bolt you increase the friction holding the arm in place.  Several blog entries of other sites have mentioned this in the past.  Since the only real time that the arm is moved in this way is when you are replacing the blade this is not a serious problem and in fact has been used in the past as a way to hold the arm up while threading the blade through the project.  Personally I have a short piece of wood attached to a large circular magnet gotten from a magnetron from a busted microwave

I put a piece of felt on the bottom to help remove the possiblity of scratching the arm.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline Woodrush

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 06:12:39 pm »
Thanks for the info. I just wanted to know if i would damage the saw using it this way. I dont miss using my block of wood

Offline justlarry

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 06:25:06 pm »
I have had my 788 clone (40-690) set up like this for nearly 5 years with no problems.

Larry

SMF

Teknoromi