Author Topic: Vacuum hose adapters - any input appreciated  (Read 1542 times)

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
Vacuum hose adapters - any input appreciated
« on: August 20, 2013, 08:37:12 am »
I have a DeWalt D26451K palm sander. It came with a dust collection bag that attaches to the sander with a twist-on connection. Does anyone know where to get this type adapter to connect to a central dust collector, or is there another way to connect a hose to this sander? 
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
Re: Vacuum hose adapters - any input appreciated
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 09:38:55 am »
There is an adapter that goes from different sizes of standard vacuum tubes. I needed one to hook up my scroll saw to my shop vac. The adapter didn't really fit, so I had to take a knife to it to get it to fit under the table and onto the port. once I had the adapter fitted I left it on the saw all the time and hooked up the hose when I needed it.
You could do something similar to get an adapter to fit the end of the sander (duct tape comes to mind, but a more elegant method would work)

Offline daveo

• DT CRAFTS LINCS UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 11:57:09 am »
Ray
I just had a look on ebay UK searched on "dust spout adaptors" and it came back with a lot of variations for the dewalt whether any would fit your machine i dont know, but there were some from US suppliers_ have a look
Dave

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 05:24:29 pm »
I pulled the dust bag off of the DeWalt palm sander - it's a twist-lock kind of thing - and inside was a tube that fits a std 1.25" vacuum fitting (like a small shop vac or Stanley vacuum). So I guess I don't need an adapter. I wanted to try the palm sander for sanding drywall. With the vacuum it should make a miserable job into one that's not so bad. 

Thanks for the suggestions and sorry for the confusion.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Lancaster Ohio
www.RMHayes.US

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 10:24:47 pm »
I don't think there is any tool that can make sanding drywall a better job! It is one of my least favorite things.

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 09:11:56 am »
One thing to remember is that with most vacuums, the air sucked in with the dust passes through the filter and is then used to cool the motor.  Drywall dust is very fine and some will pass through the filter and can quickly ruin the motor.  Not saying not to do it but it's something to think of.

I have an old Sears shop vac that doesn't cool the motor with with the air sucked in with the dust.  It's very noisy but I don't worry about drywall dust.

Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 11:45:41 am »
Thanks Jim.

I have a special vacuum that is made for a power drywall sander that I plan to try with the ROS. The actual power sander is a monster and I'm not sure I can sand the seams without digging ditches in the drywall.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Lancaster Ohio
www.RMHayes.US

SMF

Teknoromi