Author Topic: looking for wood around here  (Read 1347 times)

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
looking for wood around here
« on: December 13, 2010, 12:51:57 pm »
I'm looking for a place where I can find some nice hardwood and good softwood around Fargo ND  we have home depot lowes menards and all three place don't have the wood i'm looking for like 1/4 1/2 3/4  3/8 thickness....   
If you are around here where do you get your wood from...
SPIDERMAN THE KING OF THE WEB

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
Re: looking for wood around here
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 04:10:48 pm »
Beleive me there isn't much around  here.  I use mostly Baltic Birch and I get that out of Devils's Lake.
Other wise our only options are to order it sent in.
I'm from North Dakota

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 05:09:08 pm »
Quote from: Judy Hunter  I use mostly Baltic Birch and I get that out of Devils's lake
[/quote

Where in devil's Lake? :o 
SPIDERMAN THE KING OF THE WEB

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 06:39:31 pm »
I know they are out of the 1/4 & 1/8 baltic birch right now. ( I got the last they had)
But here is their information and you could give them a call.
there is also Valley Hardwood at Dilworth.

Lake Lumber Inc
448 Highway 2 W, Devils Lake, ND 58301

(701) 662-3416 ‎
I'm from North Dakota

supershingler

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 11:07:02 am »
Have you tried Hobby Lobby or Micheals or any type of craft store?  any of the big box stores might have baltic birch in full sheets and they will sometimes cut it down to more managable sizes for you.  as for hardwood i would watch craigslist and sometimes you can score on some nice hardwood.  another place to dry is hardwood flooring dealers and check out their closeouts  you might be supprised what you can find.  another place to try is custome cabinets shops.... sometimes they have scraps that they will give you a good deal on.

kendall

KYCustomScroller

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 08:36:33 am »
thank you everyone, im going to be going into Louisville today that's a big town that has a few wood stores so i'll be trying to get my wood supply's but that's 47 miles away from me so i have to stock up good.

mikeh53

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 03:16:37 pm »
Wood? like Gold, is where you find it?. Ya just gatta get a little creative! If you?re a cheapskate like me!

I am not around your area but... do you have any sawmills in your area?  Hear in SW Indiana there is a pallet factory/sawmill about 15 miles from my house... for the past 8 years I have been using it for my daytime woodstove wood... now that I am into scrolling... I have found that I get all of wood for my scroll saw from the woodpile... If you look you might find something similar... mostly hardwoods of different types some spalted maple. alder, and colorful poplar.  (some vibrant greenish) some walnut, & winge (sp?) (Osage orange) etc... And IT?S FREE!  I get it by the truck load for firewood!  Seems like a shame to burn some of it...I save only the highly figured stuff, the rest goes into one of my wood stoves.

Most of the wood from our mill is thicker than you mentioned,  but I can resaw on my band saw or plainer, or sometimes even use my 12 inch table saw. 

Recently I got 3 truck loads of alder/oak/maple/poplar slats... about 1/4 - 3/8 X4 wide x 4 ft... rough cut but good for things like ornaments... I found out the chipper was down for 4 days at the mill? normally this stuff gets put through the chipper.   Working on the mill boss to let me get it on a normal basis before it hits the chipper? but? how much can one guy use?  Its stacked 4x8x 8feet high in my pole barn now!

We also have a venire company that makes venire for guitar makers not far from the house? they have a culls box. gets burned in there wood stove If I don?t clean it out for them.  (I have not made it down their in a while)

Have you thought of dismantling pallets? Most are hardwood!  Sometimes if you get them from a store that imports. The pallets are from other countries are often made from what we call exotic wood that cost an arm and a leg if bought from a store. 

If there is a cabinet shop nearby maybe you can buy/beg there scraps, also maybe coriann cut offs at the same place.

How about watching the dumpsters on construction sights or behind the stores when remolding is being done? You would be amazed what hits the trash!

I get some wood every year when I am cutting trees for the my woodstoves? (trees)  you can mill your one if you get creative? and have a few normal shop tools.  or have the mill cut a whole tree for you if you luck into a walnut or something. (once you build a relationship with the guys at the mill)

All this might sound like brag, but what I am trying to say is? you would be amazed what you find if you don?t mind scrounging around a little. 

Offline towdude3

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 04:04:32 pm »
sounds like dumpster diving. It works very well at construction sites especially where they build high end homes.

SMF

Teknoromi