Author Topic: My old scroll saw dewalt dw788 start making a knocking sound  (Read 3774 times)

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
My old scroll saw dewalt dw788 start making a knocking sound
« on: February 19, 2014, 04:16:35 pm »
My Dewalt dw788 started to making a knocking sound what could it be and how much do you think it well cause to get it repair.

So I went and got a replacemnt one and on the new one the top arm is bent little one way and the bottom arm bent a little the other way and there is no way I can get the blade square to the table the only way I can get the blade square is to tilt the table a bit until the the blade is square to the table  has anyone got a new saw like this its a dewalt dw788. I'm waiting on for a new scroll saw to come and I will be taking this one back.   

SPIDERMAN THE KING OF THE WEB

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
Re: My old scroll saw dewalt dw788 start making a knocking sound
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 06:54:29 pm »
cyberghost,
I thought you got rid of your DeWalt a long time ago and moved on to a "better" saw.
How far do you have to tilt the table to get it square to the blade? If it is 4 or 5 degrees, I would say that is a problem. If you are talking about 2 degrees or less, I would just realign the pointer on the degree indicator and start making sawdust.
It doesn't matter if the table is exactly level, the important part is having the blade 90 degrees to the table for a good cut.
How did you determine that the upper arm is bent one way and the lower arm is bent the other way? Is it so bad that you can see it? If so, I would take it back instantly! There may be an adjustment to realign the arms. Or maybe it was damaged in shipping. 
If I had as much of a problem with  scroll saws as you seem to, I would try knitting for a hobby.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 02:30:23 pm »
What i did was took a 6 inch sqaure and put inside the chucks on both upper and lower arms and it was off a lot the when you are sitting in front of the saw the top arm is a bent over to the right a little and the lower arm bent a little to the left  which means I had to the set screw set all the way to the right and the top set screw to the left and had to tilt the table a bit to the right to get it to cut at 90 degrees.
that saw went back.  When I got the 2nd scroll saw that damn screws that hold the worklight  the inside screw was strip out and i was so &*^^ off i took it back and got a a replacment  now the 3rd saw i got now is going back the damn thing won't stay on the line i mean it just don't follow the lines at all. so i guess i'll take it back and get my money back and tell dewalt to kiss me butt both cheeks.  i guess the 2013 scrolls saw are bad or something. so i guess i'll wait for awhile and get a 2014 dw788 scroll saw I still got my old scroll saw the 2012 but that got a knocking noise.  I think it the tenssion ron that is knocking.  I also still got the ex-21. I like like that dewalt easy to change blades then the ex-21.
the 2013 scroll saw is gong back on monday. and getting my money back.  500 buck scroll saw wow junk..  I think dewalt should come out with a type 3 scroll and have them made right here in the usa. OR better yet MADE RIGHT HERE IN fargo North dakota.    So Now I had to return 3 new scroll saw all bad dw788 type 2 2013 scroll saws.  

cyberghost,
I thought you got rid of your DeWalt a long time ago and moved on to a "better" saw.
How far do you have to tilt the table to get it square to the blade? If it is 4 or 5 degrees, I would say that is a problem. If you are talking about 2 degrees or less, I would just realign the pointer on the degree indicator and start making sawdust.
It doesn't matter if the table is exactly level, the important part is having the blade 90 degrees to the table for a good cut.
How did you determine that the upper arm is bent one way and the lower arm is bent the other way? Is it so bad that you can see it? If so, I would take it back instantly! There may be an adjustment to realign the arms. Or maybe it was damaged in shipping.  
If I had as much of a problem with  scroll saws as you seem to, I would try knitting for a hobby.

Rog

SPIDERMAN THE KING OF THE WEB

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 03:31:48 pm »
I think its easy to change blades on the EX saw, I love haveing the tension lever up front, twist the blade clamp knob and out it comes, but thats just me. My craftsman I had you needed to use a allen wrench but I changed that and on top clamp I made it a thumb screw since was a top feeder.

I do agree on the new dewalt saw being bad, I have read alot of stories and reviews that are not the same and have alot of issues, have to go through alot of saw to get a good one, don't think they have the quality control they use to, kinda makes me wonder about all dewalt tools, they were the best to have.

SMF

Teknoromi