Author Topic: what is the best portable scroll saw  (Read 2113 times)

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
what is the best portable scroll saw
« on: January 25, 2014, 06:01:25 pm »
What is the best portable scroll saw that have the just about the same as the dewalt dw788 scroll and the ex-21 scroll saw.

I have try that Dremal moto scroll saw to load and the small blad is not small enough and it sucks.

thanks.

SPIDERMAN THE KING OF THE WEB

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
Re: what is the best portable scroll saw
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 07:14:17 am »
did you consider going to a hand saw? Fret, coping, and bow saws can do these cuts and are as portable as it gets. You can buy inexpensive fret and coping saw frames, get pretty expensive, or make your own bow saw. I'd look for a fret saw that takes your scroll saw blades so you don't need two kinds of blades, but the bow saws like Gramercy http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/store/item/GT-BOWSAW12 seem to use longer 12" blades.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 08:04:30 am »
Don't think they make a portable scroll saw, at least I have never heard of one.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

jim stiek

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 02:17:04 am »
the 16" Excalibur is light enough to be considered portable, I have a Hawk Jr that is modified Not sure they are selling it now

Malistar22

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 09:32:05 am »
did you consider going to a hand saw? Fret, coping, and bow saws can do these cuts and are as portable as it gets. You can buy inexpensive fret and coping saw frames, get pretty expensive, or make your own bow saw. I'd look for a fret saw that takes your scroll saw blades so you don't need two kinds of blades, but the bow saws like Gramercy http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/store/item/GT-BOWSAW12 seem to use longer 12" blades.

Great idea! I watched the whole video to that link. I really like that tool. It's more work to cut obviously, but like you said, it doesn't get more portable then that! Also, at the end of the video he mentioned they sell kits to build your own. Now that would be a fun project to do on your scroll saw!  :D

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 09:49:29 am »
DeWalt is portable.  I have taken one, that belonged to a friend, to our club meeting and just set it on a table and did a demonstration of doing inlay.  I have a 1988 JET 15" scroll saw that is smaller and lighter than a DeWalt.  I have taken my Jet to outdoor sales and run it from a battery with an inverter.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

SMF

Teknoromi