Author Topic: HELP squaring a blade  (Read 3176 times)

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
HELP squaring a blade
« on: October 24, 2013, 09:40:21 pm »
I just got my EX-21 scroll saw back last wednesday and I'm having a bit of trouble here to getting the blade sqaure again.  I have set the square on the back side of the blade and it is not square to the table  it is square on the side of the blade to the table and the upperarm is square to the table.

Before the saw went out it was square on the side and on the back of the blade.  

Ray have put new guts in it and it seems to run ok but it has a gape between the square and the blade.

I have try turn the motor and that don't help.

see the photo see at the bottom there is a space between the back of the blade and the square

thanks.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 01:56:44 pm by cyberghost »
SPIDERMAN THE KING OF THE WEB

Offline julief

• View Profile
Re: HELP squaring a blade
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 07:01:23 am »
OK, for starters, put the motor back where Ray had it.  There is probably a pencil mark at the 12 O'clock position.  (I've seen him do this many times before).  I promise you it was perfectly balanced when he sent it back to you.  You only need to square the blade to the table side to side.  There is a slight back to front movement in the saw and it will not be square depending where the blade is in the cycle.  If you move that arm, you will see there is a varied angle at the rear of the blade depending upon that cycle.  It is supposed to do that.

Offline Dan26

• South of Milford, Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 07:17:13 am »
Julief said it perfectly. Side to side can be adjusted to 90 degrees but on most saws you can't get a perfect 90 degree on the back of the blade. This is part of the design of the machine to allow for a slightly more aggressive cut.
Dan (South of Milford, Ohio)

Courage - the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation.

Offline PigsFly

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 09:34:37 am »
Also, make sure the bottom of the upper arm is parallel to the table for the length of the arm.
Doug

Take what you do seriously
Never take yourself too seriously

alien11

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 09:56:31 am »
Also check your square. From your photo it looks like the square and the saw blade are parallel from the table up to about an inch from the end of the square. From there upwards it looks like the square bends towards the left to contact the saw blade at its tip. Did you ever drop this square?

Offline Al W

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 07:56:13 am »
Also check your square. From your photo it looks like the square and the saw blade are parallel from the table up to about an inch from the end of the square. From there upwards it looks like the square bends towards the left to contact the saw blade at its tip. Did you ever drop this square?

Have to agree with the Alien  ;).  Your photo would almost say your square is not square.  Check your equipment as well as the saw.
Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 09:40:47 pm »
Don't worry about front to back you won't ever get it square its the nature of the machines, only thing need to square is the side of the blade to the table, if not you won't have a straight square cut more so for something like puzzles when you need a good square cut.

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2013, 01:57:43 pm »
Julief said it perfectly. Side to side can be adjusted to 90 degrees but on most saws you can't get a perfect 90 degree on the back of the blade. This is part of the design of the machine to allow for a slightly more aggressive cut.

Re-read my post  the text in red please.... 

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 08:17:08 am »
Reread my post.  It depends where in the cycle your blade was.  At some point in the cycle the blade IS square.  At the top and bottom of the stroke it will not be.  That is how the saw works.  I've had my EX21 for over 10 years and I promise you that is how it is supposed to be.

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 09:21:07 am »
It seems to me that you could put a block wood, with a 90 deg line), to the left or right of the blade and run your saw at low speed; now at some point you should see a 90 deg. stroke.

Tony,aka,Toneman

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 07:27:27 pm »
Ok..  It got lot of back and forth motion after I got the saw back from ray. Before the saw went bad.The back and forth motion was barly none and able to make tight turns and the blade last longer before. I could make a FD-UR #3 one blade last for hours stack cutting 1/8" thick of BB-plywood. Now the blade gets dull faster.  What happen to my saw was the bearings went out and ray replace the guts in it.    

And for that person that had his saw for 10 years  how many times did you have to have it repair?

This say is only 2 years old now with new guts.    

The ex-21 scroll saw just don't run right after ray fix it. :(

« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 07:33:56 pm by cyberghost »

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2013, 07:12:53 am »
I bought my saw from Ray as a reconditioned model - I have no idea how old it really is.  There have been exactly 2 repairs on it in the 10 years I have had it.  The first one, Ray said it could be one of three things wrong and sent me all three parts within 2 days.  He talked me through changing the parts myself.  The second time I took my saw to him was just for a tune up.  I had tinkered with it so many times, I thought it needed to be put back to it's original state by someone professional.  This saw, at one time, was used 8 hours a day, every day.  I have used and abused it and it has never let me down.  I would buy another one in a heart beat if anything ever happened to this one.  I put 2 kids thought college with the money I made with this saw.  It has paid for itself many times over.

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 07:34:51 am »
Got it lineup now its slove.

thanks.

SMF

Teknoromi