Author Topic: The Maze  (Read 2776 times)

Offline Chase

• View Profile
    • ScrollArt by Chase
The Maze
« on: April 20, 2010, 10:59:34 am »
I posted this on a couple of other forums, so some of you may have already seen it.  Not sure if this goes here.  Steve, move it where it goes please.

What is it you ask?  I call it ?The Maze?.  Toyed with other titles such as ?Geometric Delight?, ?Geometric Shapes?, etc.  All sounded, as Dave Barry would say, like the name of a rock band.  Hence, The Maze. Got the idea from New Day pattern done by Sue Chrestensen at Chrestensen Burghout Designs and Plaquerd?s cutting of it.

http://www.scrollsawer.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/4852/ppuser/6373

I may cut that one also.  

The Maze may not be my most challenging project, but it?s in the top 3.  The next time, it will be different.  Maybe as a true intarsia cutting.  Maybe a sand inlay.  Stay tuned.

My question is what type of scrolling is this?  Is it fretwork? I don?t think so, although the circle that was cut could loosely be interpreted as that.  How about inlay or marquetry?  Well there is some enhanced veneering.  How about intarsia?   For sure, there is some shaping and layering.

Again, what do you call this type of scrolling?  How about modern painting with wood?

Wood species include spanish cedar, padauk, cherry, oak, mahogany, black walnut, walnut, spalted maple, teak, aspen, Purple heart, and chesnut.  The laminated piece is Oak, Cherry, Padauk, and Purple Heart (bottom to top).  There is a special prize for any one guesses what I used for the seams.  Size is 18? square, finished with Deft.

So folks, here it is.

?The Maze?  

As always, comments welcome.

Whadayathink?

Chase

Click on each pic to enlarge.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Chase--Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

http://home.comcast.net/~chasesmeeks/ScrollArt-by-Chase.html

Offline sgood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Scrollsaw Workshop
Re: The Maze
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 03:03:58 pm »
Hi Chase, I don't think it needs a label. Just call it art. I personally like abstract art so I am drawn to this type of work. Abstract art tends to be a love it/hate it kind of thing. What I like to see are scrollers using the tool to produce something that does not fit the stereo type of traditional fretwork. I like fretwork but for the hobby to grow and be more widely accepted as an artistic expression we need fresh blood producing fresh ideas.

EZgoing

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 02:49:04 am »
Chase, I'm not quite sure what anyone else will call it, but I sure as heck call it a BEAUTIFUL piece of artwork!!!

You have some serious talent...

Thanks for letting us take a look...

Ez

Offline MadHatter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 12:37:48 pm »
very cool. thanks.

ljfrompa

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 05:25:25 pm »
very nice!  i like it!

if the seams are wood they could be wenge...but i would think that would be a difficult wood to cut like that.

....now that i look closer at the laminate i can see it's not wenge.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 05:27:54 pm by ljfrompa »

SMF

Teknoromi