Author Topic: Excalibur or DeWalt DX788  (Read 2285 times)

Offline Tocaone

• Let all that you do be done with love
    • View Profile
Excalibur or DeWalt DX788
« on: October 11, 2015, 07:43:13 am »
I have the Porter Cable scroll saw that I purchased at Lowe's quite a few years ago.  Little things are beginning to go wrong with it and we have just about run out of "bubble gum and rubber bands" to keep it running.  So...I am looking for a new saw, I think I have my search narrowed down to either the 16 in Excalibur or the DeWalt DX788.  I certainly would appreciate some opinions on which saw to purchase.  Thanks, Cathy

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
Re: Excalibur or DeWalt DX788
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 08:07:45 am »
Hi, Cathy:
I have both the DeWalt and the Excalibur (21") and I love them both. However, I do have the 'older' (Type 1 motor) DeWalt, which was made a bit different than the new DeWalt saws are made today. My DeWalt weighs 13 lbs more than the newer DeWalt saws (they use cheaper materials now that are lighter in weight), and the company has changed hands a couple of times since I purchased my saw in about 1998.

I will give the plus sides for both saws, but keep in mind my DeWalt is an older model. You can still get them on Craig's list, or from private sales (Look for Type 1 on the motor) and you will probably be better off than getting a new one.

The Excalibur saws are beautiful precision machines. The ability to adjust the motor (See my partner Keith's article on it here on our site: http://www.sheilalandrydesigns.com/articles/excalibur-tuning  )

With the saw adjusted properly, there is very little front to back motion of the blade, making even the sharpest turns possible and allowing the least amount of chatter. You can easily perform micro-cutting on this machine with little problem, as there is also very little vibration.

Another consideration on the Excalibur that sold me was the tilting head. I like to make my candle trays and self-framing plaques, which require bevel cutting. While the DeWalt has a table that tilts, the HEAD (upper arm) of the Excalibur tilts, allowing your work piece to remain perfectly horizontal. This makes it far easier to work with and while you do get used to cutting with the piece angled on the DeWalt, I prefer the Excalibur for this reason.

One other consideration is the service. Excalibur has the best service record of any saw around (and I hear from LOTS of customers on this issue!) If you purchase a new DeWalt and you have problems with it (many do - I have heard many, many horror stories) the places that you purchased it from may be spotty with helping you after the sale. I know that there have been some circumstances where this wasn't the case, but for the most part, I hear the same thing over and over again from my customers - service from DeWalt is poor or non-existent. That is sad when you just plopped down about $500 USD for a tool. Most best-case issues are solved by the companies giving a new saw - although this doesn't happen often - and then it is once again hit or miss as to the integrity of the replacement machine. 

On the GOOD side for the DeWalt - It is a great work horse saw and because of its slight front to back movement, can get you through cutting at a greater speed. I used mine yesterday to cut out 14 large Christmas trees and bases on 3/4" MDF and it sailed through it beautifully. I could have used my Excalibur, but I would have had to re-adjust the motor (as stated in the article) to allow it to cut more aggressive and I guess I was lazy and wanted to get the job done quickly, so I went to the DeWalt.

I also want to note that I did ONLY own the DeWalt until 2011 when I got my Excalibur and I was able to learn to do intricate cutting on it. It is not impossible, it is just easier on the Excalibur.

I purchased my Excalibur saw from Ray Seymour at Seyco (www.seyco.com) even though I live in Canada. The reason being is that he is the known expert on the saw and his customer service is impeccable. Anyone here in this forum can attest to that. I always recommend you buy through him because I want him to stay in business a long, long time because he is so helpful on every aspect of the saw. You wouldn't think phone support could be so thorough, but with Ray, it is.

So the bottom line is this - If you like cutting detailed work, get the Excalibur - no contest. You will spend more initially, but both my partner Keith and I feel that the saw brought our skills up to new levels. It is that good!

If you cut larger, less detailed stuff and want to get through your pile quickly, get the DeWalt. But try hard to get an older, "Type 1" saw. The new ones are labeled "Type 2" and it is kind of a crap shoot as to whether you will get a good one or have headaches.

Sorry for the long recommendation. But these are things I really believe. :)   Good luck on your purchase. Let us know what you choose.

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline herrwood

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 08:31:15 am »
I have the newer Dewalt model and have no complaints it works well for me. However I just scroll for fun not to sell so mine gets normal use not like in a production shop. 

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 11:24:09 am »
I also have a De Walt type 2 scroll saw and have never had a problem with it in over six years.  ;)
Again, I'm just a hobbyist and don't really put the hours on the saw like a pro would but, I don't see the problem with buying one.
Oops! I forgot, De Walt doesn't make the saw that I have anymore, it is now called Delta I think.  :-[
Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline sawdust703

• to soon old, to late smart
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 02:37:14 pm »
Take a look at the Hawk line of scroll saws. They are built here in the states, unlimited tech & parts availability, & the saw is a phenomenal machine! Quiet, smooth running, easy to operate, tension is easy to adjust & keep. I picked one up on eBay last Christmas for $350. They retail much higher, but can be traded in. The folks at Hawk are more than willing to whatever necessary to help in any way. I might add, they are simple built, & easy to work on. The cutting ability of my saw is by far the best of any saw I've had experience with.
Sawdust703(Brad)

Offline Tocaone

• Let all that you do be done with love
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 08:16:31 am »
Just wanted to thank everyone for your input and recommendations on a new scroll saw.  After researching some more and talking to everyone I knew that scrolled, I purchased the Excalibur EX-21K.  I LOVE THIS SAW!!  I haven't had the opportunity to check out all the features but so far it has performed beyond my expectations. 

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015, 08:35:49 am »
My EX21 is going on 15 years old.  If it died tomorrow - I would buy another.

SMF

Teknoromi