Author Topic: Question  (Read 8769 times)

Offline sgood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Scrollsaw Workshop
Question
« on: April 19, 2010, 12:26:45 am »
I would like to hear every ones technique for finishing their scroll saw projects. What are your favorite products?

scrollworks

Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 12:43:07 am »
Like you, I use Krylon spray.  Used to use varathane, but it is quite expensive ($10 a can) and the Krylon is about $4.  Spray on thin coats, sand with #0000 steel wool between coats.  Makes for a very nice finish after 3 or 4 coats applied.

Christina

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 01:00:36 am »
I mostly use clear acrylic spray or water based polyurethane. I have used lemon oil too and I like that alot.
Christina

Joe Adams

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 07:04:58 am »
Depends on what I'm working on  "and what I have handy" I like to use Shellac on my puzzles and Miniwax fast drying polyurethane on most everything else tho I'll admit I don't sand often enough between coats.  Getting better at that tho. Also I use Tung oil from time to time.

bluelucky

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 07:19:08 am »
Well it just depends on what I made.. But ,I usually spray my stuff with Lacquer with a gravity fed cup gun..A gallon of Semi-gloss lacquer is $25 and I can usually get about 75-100 crosses and puzzle projects per gallon. That is pennies per project...

Michael.......Indy..........
www.luckyscustomscrolling.com

dankc908

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 07:33:12 am »
We (wife and I - mainly "her" for finishing) use Watco Danish Oil (natural).  I like to try to show off the nature of the wood in my projects as I scroll with a lot of cherry, walnut, and exotics.

Dan

rwb

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 07:43:59 am »
i use lacquer and itdepends upon what im making i do a lot of diff types of fret work

rwb

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 07:47:30 am »
here is some of the things i make not sure where to post these

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline MadHatter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 07:51:33 am »
Most times I just use polyurethane and have just recently started trying a few wood stains also.

cherie

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 08:14:26 am »
Steve, Like most here, it depends upon what I am cutting and what it is for.  For some products such as food like plates and a cake topper I did, mineral oil..for the ornaments I cut, depending if they are 3-dimensional or flat will depend on whether or not I dip and hang them to dry or lay the flat and spray them.  I usually use whatever I can afford and buy more than one.  LOL.

Bill Magee

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 08:15:48 am »
I use Watco Danish oil and the Deft spray over that...really makes the grain pop.

firestarter

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 08:23:26 am »
i use minwax stain and some dallor store clear gloss.

Marshall

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 08:32:00 am »
Steve I usually use a lot of spray poly , for it's faster and drys fast too . And of course it also depends on how large the project is too in what finish I use also ..........Marshall

sp_343

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 08:41:46 am »
Lemon Oil and then a Gloss spray Poly finish.  Sometimes I use a brush-on finish...but that would only be for large woodworking projects.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 08:56:14 am »
Polyurethane, lacquer, acrylic spray, hand rubbed. Depends on the finish I want for that particular project.
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

SMF

Teknoromi