Author Topic: A New type of scroll saw blades?  (Read 2583 times)

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
A New type of scroll saw blades?
« on: May 27, 2014, 04:20:08 pm »
In March, an add showed up on Steve's blog site from Bestway Products http://www.bestwayproductscompany.com/. They make bandsaw blades from a rolled wire with a sharp edge spiraling along the outside of the blade. I called them about bandsaw blades but they don't recommend use on small saws like my 14" Craftsman. I saw some scroll saw lengths available so I ordered some.

What I got was some blade sections 9" long, 0.040" diameter and 0.029" diameter. They look like a straight steel wire with a rolled edge that spirals around the wire and runs the full length of the blade (see 2nd photo below). I used heavy fencing  pliers to cut them to 5 1/8" long like the FDUR blades I have in stock (NOTE - I would NOT use good wire cutters to cut them to length - you would likely put a notch in your cutters). I mounted one in my EX-21 to try some cuts. The 1st picture below (hope this is OK Scala150 - your father's got an interesting looking face) is 4" tall 1/4" BB Ply, so a small portrait. The detail is not great but that was my choice in testing these spiral cut blades. I drilled 1/16" pilot holes. This was cut with the 0.040" blade.

The blade was very easy to use, allowing continuous motion in any direction. It did not wander or leave a lot of jitter in the cut. The feel was more like filing or chiseling. It left a clean top side, although  the bottom was pretty rough (there are no reverse teeth on these).

One thing - they held like iron in the blade clamps. The clamps have the rolled edge up into them, so there is an edge to hold on to. I don't know if this will cause any damage to the blade anvils, but I don't think it will.

2nd photo below is a shot of the blades. 3rd photo shows 0.040, 0.029, #1 spiral, FDUR#5, and a 2/0 blade cut in BB Ply.

Anyone who's had trouble controlling a spiral might want to give these a try. They seem very stable, easy to mount, stay clamped, and cut a nice top surface.

EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline sgood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Scrollsaw Workshop
Re: A New type of scroll saw blades?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 08:58:57 pm »
I had not seen these before. They look interesting. I don't use many spiral blades but I might order a few just to see what they are like. They might be a good choice for coin cutting also.

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 11:26:11 am »
You may want to contact the makers and give them your feedback.  They may be able to find a way to make reverse teeth & the proper length blade.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline bhenr99

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 03:50:58 pm »
I talked to company and their blades are 5 1/8" long. Also they  list them as jewelers blades not scrollsaw blades.

Bob

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 04:15:01 pm »
I talked to company and their blades are 5 1/8" long. Also they  list them as jewelers blades not scrollsaw blades.

Bob
Did you order any?
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Lancaster Ohio
www.RMHayes.US

Offline bhenr99

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 11:42:58 am »
yes just to try out.

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 02:56:13 pm »
Sounds interesting, Ray,
How are the prices compared to what you have normally ordered from
Mike or other companies?
God Bless! Spirithorse

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 03:49:35 pm »
The Jeweler Blades are about $5-6 for 5 blades. I asked Bestway Products if they could sell maybe a 6' section and we cut our own lengths to save a few $$$ but did not hear back yet. The cost would be justified if they have remarkable life or if they give enough control that non-spiral sawyers can make them work. I like normal spirals so I can't really say they make it better, but someone who doesn't like normal spirals might be able to answer that.

I can say that I liked the feel of the ones I tried.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Lancaster Ohio
www.RMHayes.US

SMF

Teknoromi