Author Topic: blade clamps  (Read 3562 times)

misterwood

blade clamps
« on: May 14, 2014, 11:09:09 pm »
I purchased a pair of blade clamps from mikes workshop on steves recommendation,he said they have a ball bearing at the screw end to stop "hockey sticking" the blade, well they don't have a ball bearing, same as any other clamp (good money down the drain.)

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
Re: blade clamps
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 09:35:50 am »
I have Hegner saws and their quick release clamps have a flat bearing that touches the blade to keep the blade from bending. More expensive but worth it to some folks.
      I also have the one form Mikes and it works well for me on one of my saws.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 01:00:02 pm »
I purchased a pair of blade clamps from mikes workshop on steves recommendation,he said they have a ball bearing at the screw end to stop "hockey sticking" the blade, well they don't have a ball bearing, same as any other clamp (good money down the drain.)

For what saw? My excalibur has these type of clamps the end is set into the clamp and has a o-ring that lets it spin when tight. Another member here bought the ex clamps and used them his dewalt, the ex parts are close to the same as the dewalt.

ClaudeWSmith

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 07:01:27 am »
What is the URL for these blade clamps?

I would like to purchase for my saws.

Claude

NormB

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 03:52:06 pm »
"hockey sticking" with the Hegner is usually caused by inserting the blade to far causing the blade to bend as you clamp the blade.  I have a Hegner and it took me a while to get used to that.  When you feel the blade hit the back of the clamp you need to let it move forward just a bit to release the pressure on the blade causing a slight bend in the top of the blade. 

Mr.Bones

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 03:58:54 pm »
Good info. I didn't know that could happen! I've had that happen to me. I did not know what to do.
Thanks .

Creative Firewood Maker

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 08:06:59 pm »
Hi guys and gals,

I'm new to the forum, but I have made a change to my "bottom" blade holder that some of you can make also.  You will need some mechanical skills to do it, but you will like the results after you get it made.  Absolutely no hockey sticks.  You'll dull the blade way, way short, before it even gets close to bending the end.
I am not a computer guy so I really don't know how to send my pictures of the parts I've made.  I think the pics are way too big to send.
It's been awhile since I made the parts (over 2 yrs ago) and I don't have the specs on the stainless steel plate, but I can give you close enough dimensions that you can make the parts.  The most critical thing is drilling the hole and squaring it to the side of the holder so it doesn't tip your blade.
I'll send pics if you want.

ChuckD

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 01:48:18 pm »
Hi guys and gals,

I'm new to the forum, but I have made a change to my "bottom" blade holder that some of you can make also.  You will need some mechanical skills to do it, but you will like the results after you get it made.  Absolutely no hockey sticks.  You'll dull the blade way, way short, before it even gets close to bending the end.
I am not a computer guy so I really don't know how to send my pictures of the parts I've made.  I think the pics are way too big to send.
It's been awhile since I made the parts (over 2 yrs ago) and I don't have the specs on the stainless steel plate, but I can give you close enough dimensions that you can make the parts.  The most critical thing is drilling the hole and squaring it to the side of the holder so it doesn't tip your blade.
I'll send pics if you want.

What kind of machine are you talking about?

UHMNL

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 05:22:30 pm »
Steve Good never mentioned that the Quick Clamps have a ball bearing on the end.
Mike

Creative Firewood Maker

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 12:29:03 am »
DeWalt 788

misterwood

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 10:39:21 pm »
What is the URL for these blade clamps?

I would like to purchase for my saws.

Claude
I purched better ones from seyco.com

misterwood

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 10:40:19 pm »

For what saw? My excalibur has these type of clamps the end is set into the clamp and has a o-ring that lets it spin when tight. Another member here bought the ex clamps and used them his dewalt, the ex parts are close to the same as the dewalt.
Excalibur ex-21

misterwood

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2014, 10:41:41 pm »
Good info. I didn't know that could happen! I've had that happen to me. I did not know what to do.
Thanks .
I found nice ones from seyco, the tip rotates.

misterwood

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2014, 10:43:47 pm »
Steve Good never mentioned that the Quick Clamps have a ball bearing on the end.
Mike
now I cant find the write-up he did.

Offline sgood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Scrollsaw Workshop
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2014, 08:14:12 pm »
Hi mister wood. The post you are talking about was on April 9th. I'm sorry you mis read the article but I specifically mention that these clamps don't have the bearing. If you feel wasted your money just email me and I'll buy them from you. I have used them considerably now and they work great after flattening the clamp tip.

SMF

Teknoromi